Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Infinity Lag Spikes

Hello,

Over the past few weeks I have noticed a significant increase in network latency espeically of an evening. I have contacted the help desk several time to ask if there is a congestion or capacity issue and each time they have said no there are no issues and everything is testing fine from their perspective yet here I am a few weeks later with the same issues ongoing.

I am an avid gamer and have been getting ping spikes on every single game I have been playing. My ping will sit at anywhere from 10-30ms usually however during these spikes every 10 seconds or so it shoots up to 50 - 100+ then will fall back down again. I am playing on an Xbox One X using an ethernet cable so there is no wifi interfernce at play. I have also ran constant pings to Google's DNS servers on my PC (also wired) and I'm seeing the exact same issues. Will sit at around 10-20ms and then every few pings will jump up to 100ms+.

I have had ping plotter running on several occasions which also shows me the exact same issue. The annoying thing is all speed tests and everything are great and the ping and latency results come back as great. Has anyone had a similar issue or suggestions as to how to resolve these phantom ping spikes as it is making gaming near impossible at present. Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Infinity Lag Spikes

Are you running anything else on you pc (or other device) whilst playing?

I’ve been having the same issue, but when I run another device as well as my Xbox. I’ve even used bandwidth control to limit my laptop to 1mbps. But as soon as I use it I get massive lag spikes in game.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Is your Xbox connected directly to the Hub or through powerline extenders? It may be that the helpdesk can't check for congestion issues, however the mods on here can.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

@JordanW

Not exactly the problem @CAUZR is having.

Looking at your last thread, I assume you are now using the TP Link W9970?

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Third-party-modem-help/m-p/1890525#M156168

Just limiting the speed of your laptop will not help.

The xbox needs to be priority 1, the laptop priority 4 or less. The upload speed to the laptop needs to be limited to about a quarter of the total upload bandwidth, and the download limited to about half the download bandwidth. Make sure both devices have their IP addresses reserved, otherwise it will not work.

Its the priority and upload speed that has the most effect on ping responses.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Okay thanks for that. I’ll have a look into how to prioritise certain devices. Adjusting these sorts of setting is new to me.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@JordanW wrote:
Okay thanks for that. I’ll have a look into how to prioritise certain devices. Adjusting these sorts of setting is new to me.

It would be best if you posted on your original thread, then I can offer some guidance. Unless you get the settings correct, they will have no effect.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Would you recommend a similar solution for me? From what I can work out I think it might be Netlfix being streamed that is causing the ping spikes. We do have around 70/18 bandwidth split. But considering I've had this speed for several months and it's only a recent issue it seems very strange...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Directly to the hub same as my PC. Tried different cables and had no luck

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

This is what I mean by the intermittent nature. Not a constant high ping but I experience the exact same thing on my xbox... 

1.PNG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Your spikes could be caused by another device on your network taking priority. You would have to repeat the test with no other devices connected.

Why this has suddenly started is difficult to say, unless the problem started when some new devices were connected to your network? It could be just noise bursts on your broadband connection causing re-transmissions, but I would expect the effect to be of longer duration.

You mentioned something streaming Netflix, is that a recent addition?

There is no way to alter the priority of devices on the home hub.

You may like to follow the other thread, and see what transpires.