I've found over the past 3-4 weeks that I was having to restart my router and infinity box on a daily basis as the wifi quality was degrading so much.
Running the BT wholesale speedtest was returning results of 0.54Mbps and worse. Would then be fine after a restart of both the router and infinity box.
After 3-4 weeks of putting up with this, finally contacted BT via their online chat on 07/02/15 and was advised that it's possibly due to channel interference. They said they refreshed my wifi channels and told me to monitor it.
09/02/15, same issues and this time I'm told that "the channel I selected" is having a lot of interference. (what didn't help is that the call kept dropping out, despite me having full signal on my mobile, so they kept having to ring me back). We sign into the settings on the router and the Channel was set to "Automatic (Smart Wireless)" (so I didn't select it). Changed it to channel 11 and all ok, dl speeds of +40Mbps again.
10/02/15, same problem when I've got home from work, I change the wifi channel from 11 to 10. All ok again. As a test, changed it back to channel 11 and it's fine. No sign of the apparent interference that was causing it to be unusable when I got home.
Is my router simply on the way out? It's a BT Home Hub 3 and the firmware against it was last updated 25/07/13 (so I guess that rules out a recent dodgy firmware update). Problems only seem noticeable on wireless, wired seems fine (although I only really use wired for the TV and Playstation). What do I need to do to get BT to help? They haven't been especially good at assisting me so far, despite having contacted them twice re: this issue.
Have just carried out a factory reset. Will post on here tomorrow if still having the same probs.
Nope, still having probs, get home from work this evening and dl speeds of 3Mbps.
Wifi channel selection was set to Automatic (but using Channel 6), change it to channel 3 and straight away get dl speeds of 46mbps, change it back to Automatic (and selects Channel 6 again) and still getting dl speed of 40mbps.
So since the factory reset has not improved things at all, what do you suggest now?
On My BT pages, there was an open fault that said there was a problem on the BT Retail Servers. BT closed this fault on 20/02/15, without telling me, and from reading other peoples experiences of this issue in here I doubt it's been fixed.
Just made the mistake of contacting BT Customer Service again, which has simply left me exasperated. They continued to give me the line that it was wifi channel interference, despite the router being set to Automatic (Smart Wireless) and refused to accept that there was any fault at all.
Brilliant customer service from BT as always!
I have the same problem with that.
i did ring customer services and they told me to do the same thing, the speed did go back up, but it is not the speed i was using in the past.
they only follow the check list to problem solve. i hope it is just a come and go issus.
Have tried that too, set it to channel 6, came back from work the next day and the same issue. I change it to a different channel and it's then fine. change it again back to channel 6 to see if it is still poor quality and it's actually fine. dl speeds of 40mbps+ again.