cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nige444
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity across to a barn..

Go to solution

Hi..Wonder if anyone can help. I have BT Infinity in the house with a perfectly good connection. I also have a barn about 45ft away from the house, with the same telephone line in it (phone rings in the house and in the barn - basically a small office). I would like to have Infinity in the barn on the BT line, but can't put another router in because only 1 is allowed per line. So what is the best way round this?
Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance..

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity across to a barn..

Go to solution

Do you mean the same Infinity as you already pay for or a new Infinity package?

If it is just to be able to use the Infinity you have presently in the house, is the electrical supply on the same ring main going through the same fuse box, if so you could try using Powerline adaptors.

Another thing you could do is run an Ethernet cable from house to barn if practicable or you could try a wireless repeater that will boost the wireless signal from your house to the barn.

The best solution for best speed is to use Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

My mate has infinity and has run an ethernet cable to the summer shed at end of the garden from the back of his infinity router.

You can either buy outdoor rated ethenet cable, of which cost will immediately put you off, or run cheaper cat5/cat6 cable in hose pipe (possibly buried) to the shed. Use a vacuum cleaner to suck a peice of string through the hose pipe, then pull the cable through using the string.

Job done...

0 Ratings
SHOLTIE
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thread cable through hosepipe before burying it, no need for string and vacuum cleaner

0 Ratings
nige444
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yes, i mean the same Infinity package..

I did think about running a cable across to the barn, but the only problem is that it has to go across a small car park. The only way possible is to attach the cabel to the telephone line, but that is some 20 feet up in the air...

No the house and the barn are on 2 different supply rings..

I also thought about a wireless repeater, but the house has such thick walls I dont think it would get a signal at the barn..

The only thinkg i can think of is to get BT in and see if they can do some magic..

Thanks anyway for the help and suggestions, much appreciated..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
Do you want Infinity in both places?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Provided the house and barn are both fed from the same consumer unit, its worth trying Powerline adapters to see if they work.

If you wanted to use wireless, then adding a wireless access point with an external aerial may be another option.

TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150 Mbps Wireless N Access Point - Version 2.0

TP-Link TL-ANT2415D 2.4GHz 15dBi Outdoor Omni Directional Antenna

0 Ratings