Did you mean: 
Highlighted
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 36

Re: BT Infinity and TP-LINK TD-W8980

Go to solution

HI,

I noticed you got your TP-Link TD-W8970 and wonder if you can confirm the final settings. I am on BT Infinity with a HomeHub 5 but have a TD-W8970 I want to use instead of the Home Hub. Have done a reset of the W8970. I have put in the user name which effectively is anything for the before the @ sign but have used bthomebub@btbroadband.com and the password of bt. It just does not connect and the ADSL light simply flashes telling me it is trying to.

I have tried putting in the default DNS settings I can read off the Home Hub but that does nothing.

Is there some other special setting I need to change? I am sure I have tried all the suggestions I have read on this site.

Thanks.

Richard.

0 Ratings
G4RHL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 36

Go to solution

Reply to my own query. Have noticed am in a W8980 section and not WD8970! Will search on that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 36

Go to solution

If you have a HH5, I doubt you have the separate white modem. The WD 8970 is an ADSL router and won't work directly connected, it will only work connected to a VDSL modem.

0 Ratings
007xico
Message 14 of 36

Go to solution
Hello,
Sorry but you tell me steps to get the n600 to work with open reach modem.
I can't get it working.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 36

Go to solution

As described in earlier posts in this thread.

Edit: Which N600, it is a whole range?

0 Ratings
lofagi788
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 36

Go to solution

I have the same problem here, i got my infinity today, 'n i already bought a TP-LINK TD-W8980 N600 series. I did what you wrote down. Quick setup - vpi=0, vci=38 , then bthomehub@btbroadband.com as a username, blank password. That's all, but it couldn't connect. And ofc PPPoE and IPv6 unticked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 36

Go to solution

That's because the TD-W8980 is an ADSL modem, you need the 9980 which is VDSL.

Edit: I'm assuming you haven't got an Openreach modem as you have only just had Infinity installed.

0 Ratings
lofagi788
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 36

Go to solution

I've got my W9980 and it's working perfectly.

There is one question, wheen i turn enable the bandwith control my speed became half speed than before even without rules. Do you have any idea why?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 36

Go to solution

@lofagi788 wrote:

I've got my W9980 and it's working perfectly. Great!

There is one question, wheen i turn enable the bandwith control my speed became half speed than before even without rules. Do you have any idea why?

No idea, just tried it and I get a reduction in d/l from 37M to about 31M. Weird!! Might be worth asking TP-Link themselves.

Edit: I wonder if it applies some default bandwidth control to all connected devices before each is specified. I'll try again when there is only one device connected.

Further Edit: Nothing to do with the problem, but just to let you know there was a firmware update on the 15th Dec. The latest firmware is 0.6.0 1.10 v0021.0 Build 141215 Rel.41342n

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 36

Go to solution

Just tried again with only one device connected, still get the speed drop.

0 Ratings