cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simonb60
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Infinity not Compatible with Windows 10 - Is this really true?????

After waiting weeks to get my mom's phone set up and following on from that her broadband I visited her this weekend to set up the broadband. I successfully managed to set up and connected Wifi to my phone.

Later on in the day I tried various frustrating attempts to connect via my laptop but kept getting DNS connection errors.

When I called I was told that this is because I have Windows 10 as my operating system that this was not compatible witth BT Infinity and I needed to call HP (Maker of Laptop) to resolve.

I really cannot believe this is true in this day and age. BT do not advertise this fact and it is ludicrous that you cannot access broadband through the most up to date windows platform.

After all the grief I have had in setting up line I cannot believe this now is another let down.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Infinity not Compatible with Windows 10 - Is this really true?????

Windows 10 works fine with all  of BT broadband products, so the helpdesk was misleading you.

Is it a wireless connection you are trying?

What is the DNS error message you are seeing?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

What a load of rubbish. BT Infinity is a broadband product that is compatible with any operating system that can connect to the Internet.

If you can not connect by wireless you may need to use an Ethernet connection to do this .. Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Presumably you are connecting to the Homehub network and not the BTWifi network.

It should be something like Homehub5-xxxx and you use the wireless passkey to connect, not the Admin password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

have you split the networks  as many devices do not like the networks combined

Split the networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

@simonb60, Just to give you a bit of confidence, we have Windows 10, and BT Infinity, and I enjoy absolutely excellent wi-fi performance, no problems. I hope you get yours sorted out soon and it al workss out well for you.

0 Ratings
anthonyUK
Expert
Message 6 of 7

BT Infinity, much like any other broadband service is available to any device with a working IP stack including Windows 10.

I've been using it seen launch day.

@simonb60 Are you sure the issue isn't regarding your HP laptop and Windows 10 as I have seen it where some HP laptops are unable to enable the wifi as they do not have a suitable driver to control the software based 'switch' so the wifi cannot be enabled.

Search for 'hp wireless button driver'.

It also sounds as though you may have some items set statically in your IP settings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

If he is getting  "DNS connection errors" it sounds like the wireless card is enabled.

0 Ratings