cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 27

Re: BT Infinity with Cisco Umbrella (OpenDNS)

Go to solution

@Dave1111

As mentioned in my personal message, I will be adding the firewall settings for OpenDNS to my website. I need to get some screeshots first.

0 Ratings
Dave1111
Beginner
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution

OpenDNS is working fine at the moment having configured the two DNS addresses and using the Umbrella roaming client.

The thing that isn't working straight out the box is YouView.

0 Ratings
Dave1111
Beginner
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution
EDIT: YouView now working. The DHCP Server is by default turned off on the IPTV LAN interface.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

@Dave1111 wrote:
EDIT: YouView now working. The DHCP Server is by default turned off on the IPTV LAN interface.

@Devon_Dave gave the settings that worked.

@Dave1111

I have created a draft web page describing the method I used to configure the firewall. I hope I have not missed anything out.

I may need to edit it a bit, but I hope it makes sense Smiley Wink

Take look at it, and see if you understand what is going one. I will leave you to play with it.

This is the link.

Draft document showing firewall settings for Opendns

You can try and see what happens if you change the DNS servers on a computer, to something like Google public DNS.

You may have to flush the computer`s DNS cache to see the effect.

Its odd that TP-Link dropped the configurable firewall options on their later routers.

0 Ratings
Dave1111
Beginner
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

Thanks. Your link just redirects me back to the BT forum.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

@Dave1111 wrote:

Thanks. Your link just redirects me back to the BT forum.

You must access it from your BT Broadband connection, as my webserver has domain restictions on it.

All other access will either display a public page, or redirect back to the forum.

0 Ratings
Dave1111
Beginner
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution

Got it now - thanks Keith!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

@Dave1111 wrote:

Got it now - thanks Keith!

I hope it all makes sense, as i put it together quickly. Let me know how you get on, so I can make any amendments.

I need to do a bit of editing of the image sizes, as they may be a bit on the large size, as they are just screen captures from my spare TP Link, with a bit of editing using Paintshop Pro.

As I mentioned on that web page, you can add extra rules after those three OpenDNS rules, to block websites to individual devices if needed. This is on top of that provided by OpenDNS.

It works better than the rather limited (white list) parental controls implemented by TP-Link.

0 Ratings
Dave1111
Beginner
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

The TL-WR802N has been in and working for a few weeks now. Wireless coverage is good, perhaps a shade less distance than my previous HH5, but close.

However, I get constant dropouts throughout the day. I work from home and rely on Skype-for-Business for calls, so it's quite disruptive. The dropouts only last several seconds and I don't lose connection but it's a pain as they happen about every 20-30 mins. 

I'm on a Windows 8 laptop. I see the wireless bar logo (near my battery logo) go from 4-5 bars to none + a star symbol for a couple of seconds and then it comes back again.

The HH5 also dropped out but that was a DSL issue about once a day when I'd completely lose connection.

I can't seem to find anything useful in the logs either. I'm set to debug level. The only thing I see is a DHCPD message that coincides with it.

Thoughts anyone?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

The TL-WR802N is a travel router, so I am confused?

0 Ratings