cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KC78
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT Infinity2 - woeful wireless speeds

Posting this as a warning for anybody thinking of taking a contract with BT infinity - don't bother, as if anything goes wrong thats outside a script you are in trouble.

Currently in the middle of a support nightmare. Speeds to my router are fine around 60meg

Problem is my wireless devices only end up getting an average of 2-3 meg. If I reboot the router or change the channel the wireless speeds will jump up to where they are supposed to be (25-35 for wireless) - but then fall off a cliff after a short time.

Spent the last 2 weeks going back and forward to a bunch of clowns in India who have basically told me to accept these speeds as wireless can't be guaranteed. One guy even said 'this is perfectly normal for BT customers'!

So most of the time I struggle to stream a song without bufferring.Never mind watch movies on multiple devices across the house. Thing is everything worked fine for a year or so - nothing has changed  - no steel walls have been installed in my house! Actually had better wireless speeds on my old ADSL connection.

Easily the most frustrating and useless support I  have ever received.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT Infinity2 - woeful wireless speeds

Have you come on this forum for a moan or are you looking for some help with your problem?

If you are looking for help can you give details of what homehub you are using and what devices you are trying to use.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you also post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

KC78
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Why thank you for your reply kind Sir - I feel however after 2 weeks and several hours spent on the phone of being told this is acceptable I am entitled to a moan 🙂 Every Man has his breaking point!

I have the Home Hub 3 and shall provide my results when I return home this evening.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

No ISP will guarantee wireless speed as there are to many external sources of interference
Highlighted
Graham345
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

I'm getting 75/18 wireless Infinity 2, but only with a good quality dual band usb wifi adapter.

0 Ratings
KC78
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

No ISP will guarantee wireless speeds.

But surely getting between 1-3 meg on your wireless devices at any time of day or night on any wireless channel can't be acceptable! I am unable to stream anything on BT Sport or such like on 1 device , never mind 3 or 4 as advertised.

I live in a standard 4 bed house Hub in the hall on a wooden table. If BT infifnity performed like this in every household no-one would bother upgrading from standard broadband

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

it does not matter if it is adsl or infinity the same applies no guarantee to speed
0 Ratings
KC78
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for the helpful comments John46  - I'll just pay my 40quid a month and shut up then shall I?

To the other guy that actually tried to help - I am using a HomeHub 3, have usually 2-3 wireless devives connected (2phones and a tablet) The btwholesale speed test (wired) returns a solid 59.9mb down 19 up

Wireless speeds are typically 1-3meg on the phones and tablet. If I use my laptop I can get 4-5meg usually.

This is if I stand right beside the Hub. Even at 6am in the morning or late at night they dont improve.

Rebooting the Hub or changing the channel causes Wireless speeds to shoot up to 30-40 for a short time before plunging back down again.Have tryed the 40Mhz interface setting which didnt change things.

BT in India keep telling me a manager will call - then when they are due to call I get an email telling me they dont support Wireless speeds and this is to be expected!

btcab.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Stating the obvious, if you as consistently getting good wired speeds the problem is obviously a wireless one. It could be wireless interference that is causing the problem.

First thing to try, if you haven't already tried it, is a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This often sorts out wireless problems.

Try downloading and running inSSider. This will show you the wireless channels that your Homehub/router is transmitting on as well as the surrounding networks. You want to take a note of the channels in use and change your Homehub onto a channel that is not being used.

See Link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14094/~/how-do-i-change-the-wireless-channel-on-my-bt...

See link for inSSIDer

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

I have found that channel 13 is generaly the best channel as it is not used by other routers by default.

If the channel change does not help it could be that there is an electrical source such as a TV, cordless phone etc causing the problem. Also make sure that the Homehub is not sharing a double socket with anything.

If you have eliminated electrical problems it may be that the Homehub wirless is failing and a new hub is required.

Personally I would spend a few pounds on a decent third party router and do away with the Homehub altogether. As long as you get one with a WAN connection it will work with the Openreach modem.

0 Ratings