Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
martpu
Expert
Message 11 of 13

Re: BT Net protectplus Download

I've been reading this thread with interest, especially the negative comments against NetProtect+ as, to my knowledge (which is basic at best!), I've not experienced any issues with it whatsoever.

Nevertheless, If there is better (free) software out there I'd be more than happy to trial it and clearly Avast free comes recommended.  However, according to the Avast website, the free version only blocks viruses and spyware.

Therefore, in order to get maximum protection for my PC, would Avast free and say Windows firewall be enough to fullfill that or can you guys recommend any other free software that runs well in addition to these two?

Edit: I should clarify that I'm running Windows 8, which I understand comes with Windows Defender, replacing MSSE.

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 13

Avast Free will work without problem with Windows 8.

The Windows firewall is all that the majority of users need however if you feel you want a third party firewall then ZoneAlarm is probably one of the best free ones.

I would also recommend that you download Malwarebytes free version. This detect malware on your system and is one of the highest rated.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp/?gclid=CIi-utLZm7gCFYXMtAodmkgALA

The free version doesn't give real time scanning but if you run it at least once a week this should be sufficient as it works in conjunction with Windows Defender and Avast.

martpu
Expert
Message 13 of 13

@gg30340 wrote:

Avast Free will work without problem with Windows 8.

The Windows firewall is all that the majority of users need however if you feel you want a third party firewall then ZoneAlarm is probably one of the best free ones.

I would also recommend that you download Malwarebytes free version. This detect malware on your system and is one of the highest rated.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/malware_lp/?gclid=CIi-utLZm7gCFYXMtAodmkgALA

The free version doesn't give real time scanning but if you run it at least once a week this should be sufficient as it works in conjunction with Windows Defender and Avast.

Thank you for the response gg. I shall look intoZoneAlarm and Malwarebytes.

Cheers

You won't get to ride the racehorse...until you've ridden the mule.... - RogerB 13/04/2010
0 Ratings