Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
quaffa
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

BT Newsgroup Settings

Hi.

I have BT Infinity broadband, and a MacBook Pro running OS X 10.8. I use Apple Mail as my email client, and Mozilla Thunderbird as my newsgroup reader.

On Tuesday I posted a query on uk.sport.cricket newsgroup using Thunderbird. All seemed to work fine, and my posting appeared on the newsgroup. A couple of responses appeared to my query and last night I wanted to acknowledge them.

Using Thunderbird again, and without having changed anything in it's settings since I successfully posted my original query, I tried to post my acknowledgement, but I now received an error message advising me that Thunderbird was unable to connect to the server, and to check my Mail Preferences. It seemed that Thunderbird was now able to receive news postings it was no longer able to send them.

When I checked my Thunderbird account settings I saw that, while the incoming server was shown as news.btinternet.com on port 119, the outgoing (SMTP) one was shown as mail.btinternet.com on port 587.

I tried changing it to news.btinternet.com without getting anywhere, so I changed it back. I am now receiving the error message 'Alert. An error occurred when sending mail. The mail server responded: Syntax error in arguments. Please verify that your email address is correct in your Mail preferences and try again.'

Can anyone spot why I no longer seem able to post messages onto BT newsgroups? I suspect it is a server settings issue, but I cannot work out why they may have gone awry.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Newsgroup Settings

SMTP is for mail, there is only 1 port for news 119. I guess Thunderbird shows the Outgoing SMTP server for the occasions when you wish to reply to a poster by e-mail rather than posting to the newsgroup. Can't help with why it has stopped working though, all working fine here using Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Just another thought, were you trying to reply to the poster or the group? If you click the 'Reply' button it sends the reply by e-mail to the poster. To reply to the newsgroup you need to click on 'Followup' . Might explain why you can post but not reply.

0 Ratings
quaffa
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Solved it!

I hadn't noticed that they've changed the button to click in Thunderbird to reply to a newsgroup.

I'm sure I used to click the 'Reply' button to do that, but now it seems you have to click the 'Followup' button. (Intuitive, isn't it...?)

If you click the 'Reply' button, it interprets this as a request to email the poster of the message you're replying to.

Of course, as I had a non-existant email address set for posting on newwsgroups for security purposes, the BT server threw me back.

0 Ratings