cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hawkeagle
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 modem will not connect to my internet VDSL line.

Can anyone please advise, I thought this modem was compatible with my fibre to the cabinet line. but i keep getting "The DNS server isnt responding" The modem will not let me access its menue so I am a bit stuck???

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
stevebrass
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 modem will not connect to my internet VDSL line.

So what are connecting to the modem - which router?

And is BT your ISP?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 modem will not connect to my internet VDSL line.

@hawkeagleI assume from your other thread you are using the Linksys router, you need to connect it's WAN port to the LAN1 port of the modem. It would appear to be labelled 'Cable' on the Linksys.

0 Ratings
hawkeagle
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Yes it is BT Infinity "to the cabinet".  Unfortunately the modem will not let me access its settings which is hopeless. I suspect the box it actually not suitable for BT Infinity to the cabinet. As it appears this is line is VDSL2 is that correct and this box just says VDSL??? Obviously I have tried every possible option, manual DNS and  IP4 settings you name it!!! including the sellers recomendations but whilst I can get a ping respose I cannot get the Internet with any modified settings or automatically. Of course not being able to access the modem settings due to a fault with the modem is hopeless, so I am going to return it. Unfortunatley buying online is always a risk and a real pain when it goes wrong, as I assumed this box would allow me to connect to any of my other Linksys, D Link or Netgear routers and let me ditch the BT Hub which is preventing my VPN from working.

Many thanks for at least reading my posts.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

The HG612 is entirely suitable for Infinity and should work without any settings being changed, it is what I use. It is entirely possible the device is faulty. However, unlocking the modem is a trivial excercise if you wish to try that before returning it. Instructions can be found here

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

The HG612 is just a modem, all the settings you will need to make will be in the router. Are you sure you have configured the Linksys correctly? I don't know where the menus are but these are the various settings you need. 

PPPoE

Authentication either auto if available or CHAP if not.

Username  homehub@btbroadband.com

Password  BT

VLAN id  101

0 Ratings