cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ianthompson77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

BT Powerline and Extender

Hi, so I currently have BT in main house, and 2 garden houses which are on separate ring main to the main house but on their own ring main. 
I receive a signal from the router in main house with a BT Extender in one of the garden houses, and would like to know how I could connect the 2nd garden house? I know there are powerline adapters but not sure how they work when the router is on a separate ring main to another. Thanks for any advice given. I would prefer to try to use the powerline option because I think the walls between the 2 garden houses may stop the connection via WiFi, but if WiFi between extenders is an option how do I connect the 2 extenders together ? Thank you. 

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Powerline and Extender

Powerline adaptors might work across different ring mains in the same property provided they are going through the same consumer unit (fuse box) but they won't work if they are going through different consumer units.

If possible, your best option would be to run an Ethernet cable from your main house BT hub to one of the garden properties and then connect it to a wireless access point.

Depending on how good the signal is you may only need one wireless access point but if the signal does not get through the walls you may need to include an Ethernet switch in the property you ran the Ethernet to and then run a further Ethernet cable into the second property and connect another wireless access point to that.

If you are thinking about using a wireless repeater, they are only as good as the signal that they receive so if the signal from one property to the other is poor it will only repeat the poor signal, that is if it picks it up.

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Thank you for your reply. The issue is as far as I have been advised you cannot run Ethernet between 2 properties if they are on different ring mains. one of the garden houses was originally a separate residential house so the electricity is completely separate from the main house. 
The existing repeater/extender in one of the houses is picking up the signal reasonably well from the home router, giving approx 6-8Mbps on the 2.4Ghz and 23-27Mbps on the 5Ghz SSID from the extender (from a Max 40Mbps service)

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

You can run Ethernet cable any where you want as long as you either own or have permission to run it on the property. It is not dependant on ring mains or electrical wiring.

It is Powerline adaptors that you can not use on different ring mains on different consumer units.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 14

Running an Ethernet cable from your hub to one or both buildings has nothing to do with the ring  main connection. It is no different in running an Ethernet connection from hub to a nearby pc

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

@Ianthompson77 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. The issue is as far as I have been advised you cannot run Ethernet between 2 properties if they are on different ring mains. one of the garden houses was originally a separate residential house so the electricity is completely separate from the main house. 

You cannot run a mains supply between two houses on a separate feed from your electricity supplier, but Ethernet cable does not have any direct connection with earth, or any supply lines, as the interface card at each end, are optically isolated, and Ethernet is a balanced  transmission medium. You need to ensure that you use Ethernet cable suitable for outside use.

Powerline adapters would not work in your case.

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Hi all, as far as I have been made aware, running an Ethernet cable between properties that are on separate ring mains could cause catastrophic issues/fires if struck by lightning. Numerous discussions on the internet and on Ubiquiti forum about why you cannot run Ethernet between properties with separate electricity feeds. They mentioned issues with polarity and earth loops causing issues. They suggested searching for “copper cable between 2 properties” to see all the issues. Unless you can advise differently with any real life scenarios please as I’m open to this suggestion? But as far as I’m aware this is out of the question. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

Your electrical feeds have nothing whats ever to do with Ethernet cables. They are two totally different systems. Your Ethernet cables do not even have to run any where near electrical cables.

How do you think an Ethernet network system at schools/universities/offices that have lots of different buildings work! 

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

I must be missing something

your Ethernet cable is connected direct to hub lan port not any power connector and then run to other property,buried if you want,  and then connected to the Ethernet port on your device at other property again not connected to any power supply. Neither end of the Ethernet cable is connected to the ring main circuit in either home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

@Ianthompson77 wrote:

Hi all, as far as I have been made aware, running an Ethernet cable between properties that are on separate ring mains could cause catastrophic issues/fires if struck by l

What they are referring to is direct cabling which has a physical electrical connection at both ends, which Ethernet cabling does not have, as its a balanced connection with optical isolators at each end within the Ethernet interface card.

Taken to its logical conclusion, telephone wiring goes to each house, and that is often exposed in connection blocks, nobody prohibits that, and there is no protection any more.

I have worked on many commercial installations where Ethernet cables are run between buildings, even some which are on a different electrical phase to the server room.

Ethernet cabling and interfaces are normally designed to cope with up to 600V under fault conditions.

The only exception to this, is on connections to electricity substations, as they are designated as "Hot Sites", because under flash over fault conditions, the earth potential could rise to many thousands of volts, and be a safety hazard.  While I was working in the communications industry, Hot Site training was mandatory.

Only optical fibre links are now allowed to substations.

Its easy to confuse the facts, with what you read on the Internet.

Many people run external Ethernet cables to outbuildings which can be fed from a separate consumer unit, which could develop a fault and raise the earth potential of the building, especially if its not locally earth bonded, which is not something people often do.

If you are still not convinced, then all you can do is to set up a point to point directional radio link between the two properties.

0 Ratings