Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ianthompson77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 14

Re: BT Powerline and Extender

Thanks again for all the advice. I’m only going off the following -

https://community.ui.com/questions/Starting-from-Scratch-small-Home-Network-Set-up-with-a-Guest-Netw...

7471F0D2-F997-4359-8021-23A5B17E8501.png

I of course would rather connect via Ethernet cable as there’s less to go wrong and less installation processes than with a PtP set up.

2 electricians I also spoke to were not aware of the issue at all. I understood the BT telephone cabling had surge protectors at each end which limits the issues if there’s a lightning strike ?

I completely understand I’m not connecting Ethernet cable into the mains, but Ethernet can carry power as I have a PoE switch, and that in itself shows Power over Ethernet? 
thanks again all for all advice  

0 Ratings
Ianthompson77
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 14

Hi @gg30340 ,

I don’t know how they’re connected that’s why I’m asking the question. But perhaps they are connected either by completely buried cabling eliminating the chance of lightning strike, or perhaps they use PtmP bridges as the examples they show when looking this type up on Netgear/Ubiquiti/Cisco etc.....

Ethernet also carries power when using PoE switches so I’m working off the info that 4-5 people gave me on another forum for Ubiquiti products. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 14

Telephone wiring only has basic surge protection within the master socket, to protect the exchange equipment, not storms, nothing can protect you from those.

With POE, the power comes from an isolated low voltage power unit like you see on all routers and switches.  Lookup SELV (Separated Extra Low Voltage) on Google.

There is nothing more I can add to this thread.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 14

I have given you my advice how to resolve your problem. If you prefer the advice of the other people that is your choice. I have nothing further to add.

0 Ratings