Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soohwan21
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT Router

Hi All,

Upon the moving to the new flat, I have placed an order the fibre broadband service from BT.

However when the engineer from OpenReach, a BT contractor, visited my new flat he found and mentioned that I should have a hole through the main entrance door to get the fiber broadband service because the fibre cable should have come thorough the door from the roof of the corridor of the building. 

Because I am a tenant, having no permission to make a hole in the door(which might be insane), and the building was recently built, having strict management team with concierge, I had no option to choose other than a regular(non-fibre) broadband service, which is stated as 5 to 7 Mbps maximum download speed. 

From doing some research, I realised this speed, 5 to 7 Mbps, is limited to watch high resolution video (UHD) so I just knocked a neighbor on my floor to ask what they use now. He showed his BT router and even the speed test results as the attached pics; he has no idea which broadband product he has been using so far but only mentioned it is not the fibre broadband. 

Now here is my questions for you:

Judging by the pics below, what do you think his broadband service is? Because it has very fast download speed I just want to use the same service as he has used. 

I truly appreciate your support.

SH

3C474438-E452-41E0-A610-6A6654E61809.jpeg

63B11CCA-B0C1-4D80-AA1C-3B2CC81CF77A.jpeg

85D8B902-8E65-4751-B564-5C09D8F2E96E.jpeg

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Router

He would appear to have full Superfast Fibre Broadband (FTTP) as there is a connection to the WAN port of the router. The Ethernet lead in the WAN port will be connected to the ONT (where the optical fibre comes in)

Fibre broadband can be a bit of a misnomer. Superfast Broadband services are provided either by fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) which uses the standard copper wire from the cabinet in the street to your home or direct fibre to the premises  (FTTP). Standard broadband is delivered by copper wire. Unfortunately, there is normally not a choice of how Superfast broadband is delivered, you will either be in an area that has FTTC or FTTP but not both.

If you put your phone number in the checker https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ and post the results after removing your phone number in the screenshot we can see what is available to you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Looks like a hh4 and is FTTC  80/20mb but could be FTTP connection speed but there is a separate modem which is connected to the red WAN port

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number

https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@soohwan21 wrote:

Judging by the pics below, what do you think his broadband service is? Because it has very fast download speed I just want to use the same service as he has used. 

It's irrelevant what service he has, it may not be available to you. You may only have the choice of standard broadband or full fibre to the premises, hence asking for the output of the dsl checker.

0 Ratings
soohwan21
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Here is information that I gained from the dsl checker you informed.

Do you think you can confirm I need a hole from the ceiling to have a fibre connection or it will be available simply through the socket on wall in my flat?

I still just doubt the engineer visited my place who told me I need a hole from the ceiling to get a fibre cable to the modem because this was recently built, luxury 45 stories building and no one in the management team and landlord would permit to have that significant damage to the premise.

It is very frustrating without internet in my flat now. Your helps mean a lot to me. 

Thanks.

SH

CDCD6957-84E5-413B-B54D-357DB17C55B5.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

As you can see from the checker Superfast/Ultrafast broadband is only available via a direct fibre to your flat otherwise you are limited to standard copper broadband. Superfast broadband via your copper phone line (FTTC) is not available to you I'm afraid.  How that fibre arrives in your flat is a matter of discussion between you and the engineer. I'm surprised if this is a new build that provision wasn't made for fibre in the building phase.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Being a LUXURY 45 storey build one would certainly hope that FTTP was provided to each flat during the build ?

0 Ratings