cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

BT SH2 with 4 black discs. I'd like to use the discs with a new ASUS RT-AX88U Router

Hi

There is a lot of posts similar to this, but I can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. I'm not that technical, so please bear with me. 

I've cabled the entire house with CAT 6 - I have a GB ethernet switch with a couple of 100Mb switches to cater for around 40 connections around the house. Speakers, TVs, computer equipment etc. Had this done as we electrically rewired the house, so it made sense to do at the same time. 

Any day now, we are receiving FTTP and I'm ordering the full 900 package. Current equipment on copper is the SH2 with four wired BT black discs. The house is really old and has incredibly thick walls. This has been working since we wired them all in around the house. 

I've purchased the Asus router to sit in the middle of the house (Server Cupboard and cabinet) and although it's better range than the SH2, I still need the discs to work. 

Some are saying that I'll need to replace the discs with the white Wholehome type, but some of the forums are saying that with some configuration, I can get this working with the SH2 remaining connected and the black discs. Which would be great

My Fibre box on the wall inside the house will connect to my patch panel, and go straight to the Asus router in the Wan socket. From the rear of the router, I will connect three switches (via the patch panel). The switches have the discs attached to them with the rest of the tech around the house. 

What do I need to do with the SH2 to make it work with the discs? I'm looking for the best performance for our wifi devices around the house. Phones, tablets, the odd sonos speaker (most are wired). etc. 

Thanks in advance

Dave

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT SH2 with 4 black discs. I'd like to use the discs with a new ASUS RT-AX88U Router

basic question are you getting digital voice?  if so the SH2 must be connected to the ONT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Re: BT SH2 with 4 black discs. I'd like to use the discs with a new ASUS RT-AX88U Router

No - We've been here three years, never used the landline - so won't be having a digital phone. 

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

black discs only work with SH2 and white work with any

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

You could repurpose the SH2 as a wireless access point, connect it LAN port to LAN port to the Asus and connect the discs to the SH2. Should work, but no guarantees.

Give the SH2 an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the Asus and turn off DHCP on the SH2

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Thank you

I have a techie friend whop is going to help me with this. Beyond my capabilities. Thanks Dave 

0 Ratings