cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradcat
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT SMART HUB6 AND XBOX ONE PROBLEMS

Hi all, new to the forum and new to BT so any help would be greatly appreciated. Recently switched from plusnet to BT, as we were having alot pf problems with lagging and connectivity, particularly with gaming. BT Infinity boasts 'the ultimate gaming experience' so we thought this was the one for us. Since joining, we have had nothing but trouble with gaming. Just for information, I am talking specifically about Black Ops 3 on Xbox one. Have googled endlessly looking for information about the best set-up for our router, but still have persistent lagging on games and connectivity issues. Can someone please help, or talk me through the best way to have our router set-up, or any information atall would be great. Am happy to provide any details as requested, if someone feels they can help me. Thank you.  

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Liam_
Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT SMART HUB6 AND XBOX ONE PROBLEMS

Hi,

Have a search in the forums for Xbox problems.

Or start here:  https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/New-Smart-Hub-Doesn-t-Work-Properly-with-Xbox-On...

Save yourself a lot of trouble and invest in a good third party modem/router.

Just make sure before buying that it fully supports all your requirements.

0 Ratings
bradcat
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your reply. I never considered that. I thought having the latest router would mean we would get the best results. So can you give me any more information regarding the right router for the job, you mention it should support all our requirements, but I really have no clue what to look for, and how do I know it will support all our requirements, (please forgive my ignorance)

Also, if we got a new router, do we have to make any changes within the router, ie port forwarding etc?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 Ratings
lrho
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

What problem are you having? Is it strict NAT?
0 Ratings
bradcat
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

We've managed to change the NAT to open, from strict, but the whole gaming experience is awful. Alot of lagging, and signal bars are often low. Also, when trying to join games, it always seems to go back to the same game, same players - even though we have open NAT. It's a real struggle to join new games. Have looked at loads of sites regarding port forwarding, and I confess we did have a mess-around within the router, and followed the instructions from this link

https://portforward.com/bt/home-hub/ 

I don't know if this was the right thing to do, and I was wondering if there was a specific set of rules or adjustments needed in order to get the best result for gaming...we're jus a bit lost at the moment, and we're paying more for this priviledge, so getting a bit frazzzled.Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Hi bradcat,

If you are considering a replacement modem/router, some things to consider would be support for IPTV if you use it, that is.  I think some things like BT Sport are multicast, not sure though as I don't use any IPTV at all.

IPv6 might also be important to you as apparently the Xbox performs better via IPv6. So the router you consider should fully support IPv6 as implemented here, with a /56 prefix.  So far TP-Link routers need a fix and one is being worked on just now.  Also Netgear, Apple and Linksys (probably other makes too) routers appear to have the same issue as TP-Link, no idea if Netgear and Linksys are doing anything about it they haven't replied to my enquiry.

Now Asus appears to do the job (IPv6) properly and I can personally confirm Fritzbox support.  Fritzbox on the other hand don't do full IPTV support, as far as I know, some models might, you would need to check.

So if your line is problem free, IE. No noise, check by dialling 17070 option 2.  If noisy report a line fault and don't mention broadband.

If that's all ok then a new router should sort the problem, as you will get something that UPnP works correctly on.

Liam

0 Ratings