cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

BT Smart Hub 2 - Blocking

Go to solution

The Smart Hub 2 that I use limits the range of internal IP addresses to 192.168.1.64 ..... 192.168.1.253

I am working with Arduinos and the like and want to use static IP addresses for them in the range 192.168.1.1 .... 192.168.1.63. I also want to allow the devices to connect to a NTP server using UDP.

There are two problems.....
1. The IP Table within the Smart Hub Manager does not show devices that have addresses outside the 192.168.1.64 .... 192.168.1.253 range.
2. The hub blocks the traffic (if I use an IP within the given range the Arduino communicates with the NTP server).

I am not too bothered about the IP Address Table but would like to stop the blocking. I have spoken with BT Help - no joy.

Can anyone suggest a "sensible" solution (i.e. one that does not include a large heavy hammer!)?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - Blocking

Go to solution

@DavidHodg wrote:

The Smart Hub 2 that I use limits the range of internal IP addresses to 192.168.1.64 ..... 192.168.1.253

No it doesn't. It limits the DHCP range of the hub to those addresses specifically so that you can use 1-63 as static addresses.

I am working with Arduinos and the like and want to use static IP addresses for them in the range 192.168.1.1 .... 192.168.1.63. I also want to allow the devices to connect to a NTP server using UDP.

There are two problems.....
1. The IP Table within the Smart Hub Manager does not show devices that have addresses outside the 192.168.1.64 .... 192.168.1.253 range.

It does but the hub address table is notoriously hopeless.
2. The hub blocks the traffic (if I use an IP within the given range the Arduino communicates with the NTP server).

It doesn't block traffic from those addresses, I have a Pi at 44 that works just fine.

I am not too bothered about the IP Address Table but would like to stop the blocking. I have spoken with BT Help - no joy.

Can anyone suggest a "sensible" solution (i.e. one that does not include a large heavy hammer!)?

Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

I get a few anomalies on my SH2 from time to time, one example being a camera which has a static address, sometimes I can't communicate with it using the local IP address but I can by using it's DDNS address. The solution whenever that happens is always the same and is a simple as A B C, re-boot the hub.

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have managed to get the Arduino to successfully communicate with the NTP server - using an IP Address within the default range.
When outside the range it still does not work.
Might it be that I am using UDP and your PI work is using TCP/IP?

Do you know if it is possible to "persuade" the hub to allow UDP traffic?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I have set the hub many times over the last few days - makes no difference.

Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

The hub doesn't differentiate between TCP and UDP.

You could try forwarding port 123 to the relevant IP address of your Arduino.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@DavidHodg wrote:

I have managed to get the Arduino to successfully communicate with the NTP server - using an IP Address within the default range.
When outside the range it still does not work.

Are you sure you configured the Arduino correctly with a static IP address and set the Gateway to 192.168.1.254

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Whoops....... over enthusiastic typing!
Used 192.168.0.254, I will try changing that later.
Very embarrassing, should have known better.

Thanks for the suggestion - really appreciate your help.
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

All is now working fine and it was me that was the error not the Smart Hub.

Traffic is flowing and the hub is showing the device.

Thank you for the help - I am suitably embarrassed as I should have known better.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

No worries, thanks for the update 😃