cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

BT Smart Hub 2 Flashing Purple Light but Internet Working

So we have 2 internets at home, one is with BT that I've had since forever and my new ISP Community Fibre for the 1GB line.

Today I got the Smart Hub 2 for renewing my BT contract and I want to use it with my Community Fibre line as I've been looking for a replacement router for a while and this was a good chance.

Now, for those who aren't familiar with fibre lines, I connect to the router with an ethernet cable which then leaves me with 3 remaining slots, that's perfect. The internet works, full 1GB speeds, all good, no issues there.

The problem is I have a constant flashing purple light which I assume will keep flashing unless I connect the grey broadband cable? The issue is I don't want to connect that cable as it's meaningless for my Community Fibre line.

Because of this, I'm unable to access the Hub Manager.

Is there no way for the light to turn blue without connecting the broadband cable?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 Flashing Purple Light but Internet Working

I suspect you're right about the light but wrong about why you can't access the hub manager.

Click the network properties icon in your system tray then click Properties and change the radio button from Public to Private

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

Still won't load up. Tried factory resetting too and nothing.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 18

You'll need to disable smart setup again. It re- enables as part of the factory reset. Sorry can't post a link to that at the moment but Google will find it for you

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

what BT package FTTC or FTTP?

what router do you currently use for community fibre?  are you connected to the router WAN for 1gb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Not sure how the SH2 is working with your community fibre as (a) the SH2 doesn't have a WAN port and (b) the PPPoE credentials are fixed on the SH2.

Unless the DSL port has an input, you will get the purple light, there is no way to turn it off.

PS @Dizzazter  Please don't post the same question on multiple boards, it just causes total confusion with replies. I have deleted your duplicate post

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

I Google'd it but I can't turn it off as I can't get into Hub Manager.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

The BT is the best I can get but I'm not using it for that internet line. I 'm using it for my Fibre Line with Community Fibre ISP.

The way that's setup is, they carefully folded the fibre line into a small white box and from that box I use an ethernet cable to connect to the Linksys Velop router they gave me and then I use a Network Switch to give me more ethernet ports as the Velop only has 2 and one is for the Internet.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Apologies for the duplicate post.

The way it works on the Linksys is it connects via the Ethernet cable and it let's me access the Velop "hub manager" or whatever they call it. Internet works perfectly the same way on the SH2 but for some reason I'm guessing it doesn't register as me connected which is maybe why it doesn't give me access to the Hub Manager? That's my best guess right now.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

The way you have it connected is using the hub as a wireless access point and Ethernet switch, not a router. Disconnect the SH2 from everything else, connect your PC directly to it and change its IP address from the default 192.168.1.254 to something in the same subnet as the Velop.

Edit: also disable DHCP on the SH2 or you will have 2 DHCP servers running.

0 Ratings