Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

BT Smart Hub 2/Powerline Adapter/Broadband Drop-Out

Hello!

Please help as i'm about to pull my last hair out..

I am trying to set up a power line adapter (this is the second failed attempt) the first product was a 600mb TP Link pair which I returned to Argos after I couldn't get it to work; they paired as expected, but the moment I plug one of the adapters into the router's ethernet port, the broadband drops out and the router starts the process of re-connecting and the disconnecting until I unplugged the ethernet cable from the adapter...it then returns to normal. Today I sourced another Netgear 1000mb kit and exactly the same issue occurred..so I feel reluctant to take it back as it must be a setting or issue with the router?

If anyone could spare a moment or two to save my sanity would be appreciated as my BT engineer couldn't really help -  when he came round a couple of days ago to sort a separate issue out..

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: BT Smart Hub 2/Powerline Adapter/Broadband Drop-Out

Try factory resetting the hub using the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash about 20/30 secs and see if that helps

do you have any other units using your electrical circuit?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

many thanks - will try this also.
its just the router and the adapter using the power socket.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Many thanks - will also give this a try..fingers crossed!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

..unfortunately, this didn't work..
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

..unfortunately, this didn't work..either.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Just to confirm something.

You have a single pair of powerline adapters, with no other powerline type adapters on your network like perhaps the BT mini connectors?

One adapter is connected to the home hub, and the other end directly to the LAN port of a computer.

Is there anything else connected to any of the other ports of the home hub, as the symptoms you describe, point to an Ethernet loop?

Also, some powerline adapters can cause interference to broadband, especially if your phone wiring runs close to the mains wiring or adapters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Yes, this is these are the only adapters that I have. The second unit is to be connected to my sons XBox One. The symptoms only occurs when it’s plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the home hub.

i have read elsewhere about the electrical interference..but this is the only place that I can connect the router & adapter to both the master socket with an adjacent power socket.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

is the powerline adapter and hub connected to same power socket or using trailing extension socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings