cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

BT Smart Hub 2 device connections

I was looking at my connected devices in BT Smart Hub 2 Manager and I noticed that, even after I disabled WiFi and switched off completely my iPad, the Smart Hub Manager was still showing the iPad, not only as a connected device, but with a wired connection!

All my devices connect to the hub wirelessly, none via ethernet, yet the Manager is showing 3 or 4 as connected via Port 4, i.e. wired connections (including the mysterious iPad connection), when all are wireless. I refreshed the page and that didn't change anything. Does anyone know what is causing this?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 device connections

the connection manager in the hubs including SH2 have never been accurate and unlikely after all this time to change.  if it is causing a problem then factory reset hub and start again

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 14

Thanks @imjolly . I have since done a factory reset and that has corrected that error.

I'm looking into all this because I'm in the middle of a discussion with BT/Openreach about my broadband speed, which is dismal (20-21 Mbps download). So far two or three (I'm losing count!) engineers from both have visited me. They say that my line speed as measured by their gadget is 55Mbps (if only!!) but when they measure via my Smart Hub 2 it drops to 20-25. BT sent another hub in case mine was faulty but that made no difference, if anything it made things worse!! They appear to be out of ideas at the moment.....

I find when I measure it myself that it is varying between 20-25 next to the hub, occasionally reaching the dizzy heights of 28-29, it's really erratic. Even more annoyingly, a BT minihub at the other end of my (not huge but thick brick walls) house is giving between 1 (!) and 22 Mbps. BT keep telling me I should be getting between 30-48 Mbps......

I've disconnected all devices (no more than 7-10) and even with only 1 connected to measure the speed it is still only 21Mbps. I'll add devices one at a time to see if any produce a notable drop in speed but it doesn't look like that will be the answer. Do you or any other users have any other ideas please?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

there is no guarantee on download speed and all speeds quoted by BT are connection speeds.  have you tried connecting with ethernet to see what download speed that gives    try   https://fast.com/

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 14

Thanks @imjolly . Here is the technical log data

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+2031011431

Firmware version:v0.24.04.11017-BT

Firmware updated:Thu Jan 7 11:57:35 2021

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.71 05_06_2020

DSL uptime:0 days,03 Hours32 Mins22 Secs

Data rate:6.511 Mbps / 23.621 Mbps

Maximum data rate:6.511 Mbps / 58.301 Mbps

Noise margin:9.7 / 26.6

Line attenuation:11.8 / 21.1

Signal attenuation:11.8 / 25.2

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:152.4 MB Uploaded  / 544.4 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-RJAKCH

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel6)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-RJAKCH

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:EC:6C:9A:45:87:EC

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

@imjolly Also I forgot to apologise for the delay in replying to your second post!

I sent the log data just now, I also just tried the quiet line test and that seems fine, no noise on the line that I can detect. Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

which master socket do you have

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegMaster socket types.jpeg

can you post dslchecker results

are you having problems with the router dropping internet connection not just your wireless devices dropping connection

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Thanks @imjolly . I really appreciate your help and sorry for taking up your time!

My master socket (installed only last week on one of the engineer visits!) is no.7.

Trying to find an easy way to post the dslchecker results other than cut and paste, will respond on that shortly!

As far as I can tell the router itself is not dropping the internet connection, (the blue light is always on) but the Minihub is occasionally dropping out. However I tested download speed at the SH2 with Minihub both disconnected and disconnected and it made no difference to the download speed as measured at the SH2. Similarly, I have been adding devices to SmartHub 2 and Minihub and the download speed has not deteriorated but remained consistently at 20-21Mbps next to the SH2.

I don't have an ethernet cable (except between SH2 and Mini Connector) so all my connections are wireless (hence confusion mentioned in earlier post re "wired" iPad).

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

@imjolly 

I can't find a way of exporting/posting the dslchecker results, seems to be beyond my limited tech. know-how! Are there particular readings that would be useful? 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

us e the camera icon

Capture.PNG