cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ae1980
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

BT Smart Hub 2 - replacing this router with a 3rd party model that actually works

Hi

I have recently signed up for BT Fttp and have had installation of the ONT back at the start of August. The Fttp service is due to be switched on this Tuesday. 

In the interim, I am connected via a copper BT broadband connection. 

The problem that I am having is that the Smart Hub 2 is simply not working with my Sonos equipment nor my son's Xbox One S - it is absolutely terrible in my opinion.

As my experience of BT so far has been extremely poor, I am going to purchase a third party router and connect this directly to the ONT. Likely Netgear or Asus. 

Can someone from BT provide me with a guide of the settings that I will require in order to do this.

Thank you in advance. 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - replacing this router with a 3rd party model that actually works

Suggest you don't go for Netgear as they don't support BTs implementation of IPv6.

The only settings you will need are the generic PPPoE username and password which are bthomehub@btbroadband.com and BT respectively.

Ae1980
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 - replacing this router with a 3rd party model that actually works

That's great, thank you. 

Out of interest, do you have a recommendation for a suitable router? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Only you can decide what whistles and bells you need. I would suggest looking at the TP link range or Asus. Whichever you choose, you only need the router version, not the DSL modem/router version.

Pilot25dmc
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

ASUS AC86U. 

Hands down, the best router I have ever used and I have probably owned close to 20 over the years, I think I have had every model of ‘Hub’ ever produced by BT. 

On 5ghz my phone will EASILY get 200Mbps in my upstairs bedroom - to achieve this before, I needed one of the complete wifi discs and even then it was hit and miss. 

My SH2 and the 3 discs (yes, THREE) are now in a box in the attic. 

0 Ratings