cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

BT Smart Hub 2 vs Google Wifi / Google Nest Wifi

I have BT Fibre broadband and I was wondering if anyone has switched the kit they get from BT for either of the Google Wifi options? I'm not really bothered about faster speeds, it's the range which stinks on the BT side of things for me.

Has anyone seen better range results switching to Google Wifi? 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 vs Google Wifi / Google Nest Wifi

Not tried it but Google Nest Wifi creates a mesh wifi network where you place the other units around your property to create that wider wifi coverage (assuming you have more than just one unit). The Smart Hub 2 with complete wifi acts like the same - https://www.bt.com/broadband/complete-wifi

You can also get whole home discs https://shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi

Most people would recommend using a third party router but bear in mind that some features like Digital Voice which is being rolled out currently requires you to use the BT provided router, i.e Smart Hub 2, for it to work.

Message 3 of 8

Bear in mind the Google Nest Wifi doesn't have a modem so unless you have FTTP (full fibre to your house) with an ONT, you will need a modem. The SH2 doesn't have a modem only mode.

Message 4 of 8

I do have full fibre to my house - what do I need to do to stop using the smart hub? 

Attached is the ONT I have installed 

9F1816B8-120A-4B92-99B6-DBC7EB114390.jpeg

Message 5 of 8

Just connect the fibre ONT to the Google router WAN port instead of the BT Hub. 

You will need to enter the generic PPPoE credentials of username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and password BT on the Google router.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks so much - the Google Wifi puck now connects to the internet and the wifi is great. However……I decided to add a non managed 8 port switch to the LAN port on the Wifi router. For some reason it’s not issuing IP addresses to anything. Any idea what is going on? Thanks so much

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

An unmanaged switch should be totally transparent, does the router issue IP addresses on the LAN port ok without the switch in circuit?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

For some reason my Google router won't connect to the Internet and I have the same set up

0 Ratings