Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debsy72
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

BT Smart Hub 2 with wifi problems

Hi

I few weeks back I upgraded to complete wifi to help the intermittent wifi issues which we couldn't get to the bottom of. I set up the router and wifi disc as explained and all connected OK. Then the problems started. We constantly seem to have the dreaded circle of doom (as seen on TV adverts for superfast broadband) and the laptops do not stay connected for very long. When I run the network troubleshooter I get the 'cannot connect to proxy server' message or something similar. Sometimes the troubleshooter resets the wifi adapter and it is ok for 10 mins then off it goes.

If I sit next to the router and plug the ethernet cable in then all is ok (although not practical).

So, I call BT and line tests are carried out, I mention the Smarthub 2 is red hot and they send me a replacement. I have had this one rigged up for over a week (been on holiday in between) and have the same issues, it is so infuriating.

I pay for Complete wifi, BT Plus and have 4 family sims so my monthly bill is huge and the service is soooo poor.

Yes the BT plus unlimited data is switched on when I call with problems but I live on the edge of a mobile cell near a nature reserve and get no mobile signal indoors so it's pretty useless.

Today I have succumbed to putting my old Smarthub 1 back and so far I have been connected to the wifi for 1 hour without interruptions much to my kids joy.

Please can someone help! I have already searched this forum and done the following:

Reset the hub, turned off smart setup, checked my proxy setting to ensure on auto LAN settings, reset wifi adapter, uninstalled the adapter and rebooted the laptop. I have not bothered reconnect the disc because I cannot get the smarthub 2 to work properly anyway.

I am at my wits end, in this day an age I should not be having so much trouble staying online.

TIA

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
albertj
Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Smart Hub 2 with wifi problems

Sorry, could you please elaborate on 'the circle of doom'. What colours do the disk and router go when you can't get connectivity?
Is this with all devices?
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
debsy72
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi

The Hub and disk stay blue and I mean the swirling circle on the screen of an iOS device or in the address bar of a laptop telling me that it is desperately trying to connect to the internet but there is an unknown force stopping it 😉

This is the big problem that I, an other who have posted on this forum, have. From BT's point of view, everything is rosy but I cannot connect. Just 2 other posters with the same issues below:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Windows-could-not-automatically-detect-this-net...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/New-smart-hub-2-problems/td-p/1925573

This is why I am at my wits end because I'm not a technophobe and I can find my way round IT issues (usually) but this has stumped me!

0 Ratings
albertj
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Ahh yes of course! Was thinking more on the router side. Sorry 😐

So all these problems go when using the original Smart Hub?
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
0 Ratings
debsy72
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Yes. As soon as I put the original smart hub back on earlier the connection has been stable.

Is is OK that both of the Smart hub 2's that I tried get very hot?

0 Ratings
debsy72
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

I was really hoping for some help from BT on here. Are there conflicts in the Smart Hub 2 that need to be corrected to get this to work?

0 Ratings