cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

BT Smart Hub 2

I have recently had BT Full Fibre broadband installed with a Smart Hub 2 and have now discovered that my Epson printer cannot be re-installed to work wirelessly as it operates only on the 2.4Ghz band and the SH2 cannot be split - as others have reported. Not a good decision BT!! So, I now have a usb connection with the inevitable trailing lead.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: BT Smart Hub 2

Hi @heenebeach   You can request the "fix" by requesting it at the end of this thread.

Solved: 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ Bands BT Smart Hub 2 - Page 43 - BT Community

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thanks VeteranISPUser.  Is there now a fix' that would enable to install my Epson printer?  I'm afraid I couldn't follow the thread.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@heenebeach before that "fix" go to Advanced Options, log in with admin password and switch off temporarily 5Ghz WiFi network, with only 2.4 GHz on...

Connect every single device which require only 2.4 GHz connections (typically some WiFi LED bulbs and LED light strips, WiFi connected heating etc.

Then, re-enable 5 GHz network back and voila, you have connected all "2.4 GHz only" devices you need and all others will pick up better option, e.g. 5 GHz network.

While 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz share same SSID due lack of "split" option, it's only one way how to do that...

I do not like this "limitation" but to overcome this, there is not need any complicated hack, just few moments inconvenience to switch off and then switch on 5 GHz network.

Certainly, for older "only 2.4 GHz" and "you need to be on same WiFi network as device" equipment there is no need special router l, even this might be also solution.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Thanks - I'll try that.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

I am having exactly the same problem since getting a new smart hub 2 and full fibre. My Epson printer just will not work, constantly saying off-line when it is not, or just getting unable to print message. It is driving me absolutely crazy. We have uninstalled and reinstalled and still not working. My printer the ET2710 does not have the option to be wired as it will only work wirelessly.

I did phone BT re this (we are aware of the Sonos issue which is also affecting us) however the person was not very helpful and said BT were aware of the Sonos issue but he had not heard any problems with printers so the problem must be at our end.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

@wendymurray3 

there are numerous posts just like yours.  follow @gosforth  post and that normally solves the 2.4ghz network problem

once printer printing then turn 5ghz network on

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the replies. We have followed the steps above and everything has now gone onto the 5GHZ except the printer which has remained on the 2.4GHZ and once again this morning will not work. ☹️

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

so if you turn off the 5ghz network does your printer connect to the hub

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Will do it again and check and come back to you. That task is hubby's and he is out just now.

0 Ratings