cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spwatson39
Message 1 of 8

BT Smart Hub 6 Not Very Smart!

After 4 hours of BT engineer on site this afternoon i've come to the conclusion Smart Hub 6 is not very smart.

My HH6 will lose connection, then constantly keep rebooting for maybe 24 hours until the connection restarts, then its stable for a few days before losing connection again.  All the cablings been checked, the D-Side has been changed over but still no luck.  I've a new Home Hub but again, the problem continues.

While testing today with the engineer we discoved putting the old HH6 back in connected straight away, but the new/live one didnt.  Looks like (and BT had said this before then backtracked) that the "smart hub" cant cope with a smart house!  I have probably 20 WiFi devices that connect when you factor in Laptops, iPads, iPhones, Sky Q, Smart TV's etc.

The only difference being that there were no devices trying to connect to the old HH whereas the new on there was.  The same thing happened in reverse when going from the old one (20 devices) to the new (current one) 0 devices at point of installation.

BT - you need to come clean and if your "smart hub" cant work with a "smart house" then say so!  BT once said this on a support call but when I pointed out the media would be very interested to hear this they quickly backtracked.

Very disappointed, to the point I've now ordered a TP-Link AC1600 from Amazon as a last resort at £100!

I should point out, I'm an I.T. Manager by trade so have a pretty good idea what I'm doing with my wifi setup!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 Not Very Smart!

Every few years, BT releases a new Home Hub.  Each time, it's rushed out without proper testing and is flaky and unreliable until BT have done enough firmware fixes to make it work properly.  That's about the time BT releases the next new Home Hub.

Being a generation or two behind has its advantages.

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 3 of 8

@spwatson39, I suggest that you reduce your smart home's dependency on the extra features provided by your ISP.  This is especially important when the ISP is a mass residential one like BT, Sky or Virgin, because their support divisions are generally incapable of dealing with or even understanding a complex domestic installation.

What this means in practice is not using the provided CPE's wifi, firewall, DHCP server, VPN endpoint or any other extra feature.  Buy or build your own equipment to handle this functionality (since you're in the IT business, you'll know what's required), and then link your domestic firewall/router to the ISP's CPE using wired Ethernet.

Even better of course, replace the ISP's CPE by a 3rd party unit to eliminate their meddling over TR069.  Many experienced people on this forum have advocated this.  Still keep your internal communications infrastructure separate from the CPE though --- it's more flexible that way.

A smart home should not be at the mercy of a mass ISP's poor levels of service.  One good approach is to subscribe to at least two mass ISPs and multi-home them into your router/firewall, on the basis that both going down simultaneously would be quite rare (eg. one on DSL and one on cable).  Another approach might be to use a better organized ISP that targets the technical user, such as AAISP, but alas that costs a bit more.

While it would be nice to think that BT can handle a smart home, reality intrudes here. 😞

0 Ratings
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 8

@MorgaineD I agree with the sentiment of your post and I personally offload most functions onto separate kit. However, the idea that all consumer ISP kit is rubbish is just wrong.

I have been with Sky for almost 7 years and using their hardware (it is required as per T&C), and it has been absolutely rock solid. Infact I was using the Sky router from 2012 up to just a few months ago without any issues at all. This was replaced with their newer Hub and that has also been flawless. Given this and the issues surrounding the BT Hub's I'm not particularly looking forward to my switch date.

I just think it's important to stress that hardware issues such as those faced with the BT Hub's are absolutely not common among ISPs, and that this is a largely unique problem to BT.

--Adam
0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 5 of 8

@adly: Note that I didn't say that the mass residential ISPs all have CPE problems. I suggested to avoid using their CPE's extra features because their support divisions can't handle complex installations. (This is a consequence of having large armies of minimally skilled support workers obeying inflexible scripted procedures.)

As you say, BT's Home Hub disaster appears to be a unique situation among ISPs. They really shouldn't be involved with developing CPE kit when their abilities in this area are so poor. It's to nobody's benefit, neither BT's nor that of their long-suffering customers.
0 Ratings
spwatson39
Message 6 of 8

Thanks all.  The TP-Link arrived today and is superb.  Such a shame that BT make a product called "SMARTHUB" that is anything but "Smart".

0 Ratings
andy2158
Message 7 of 8

BT Smart Hub 6 worst piece of kit ever

Couldnt agree more with other reviewers, what a terrible piece of kit.  

We moved house end of October and I'm just on hold to BT again with a smart hub 6 that is oh almost nearly a week old and has failed.  This is our fourth of fifth replcacement.  Same process every time - offshore tell me its the line - I tell them its not and we loop round invariably with a visit from the engineer.  Who then says the hub has failed.  Im beginning to think I know thier technology better than they do!

Also for the less wary readers beware the engineer has tried to charge me for a call at some £129.  Once I challenged BT it was removed as there was no fault with my equipment.

Dont what ever you do buy one of these useless bits of plastic!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wmcdonald
Message 8 of 8

Totally agree with SP on this subject.  At least he was successful in getting an engineer to come out.  I have explained numerous times to BT technical support that the 'smart' hub keeps on dropping, and all I get back from them is that the line is ok and shows no fault.  Having worked as the Global Customer Service manager for one of the top global electronic companies in the world, I would have to say that (a) BT really do not listen to the voice of their customers and (b) their technical support really do not understand broadband connection devices.  Like SP below, I have a very good understanding of network and IT and I find it disturbing when speaking to BT 'technical support' team, that they do not understand the basic fundamentals of networking.  Very poor customer service!

0 Ratings