cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcgerkikal
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

BT Smart Hub 6 - Silver Surfer - PC installation Queries

Us “wrinklies” have Just received this as an upgrade on our ancient BT Home Hub 2.

It comes with instructions that appears to assume that the only people ever going to use it

have PCs that have Wi Fi Cards or USB Plug In Wi Fi Dongles - so it is unclear how to set it up with older PCs without Wi Fi capability & that currently utilise Powerline Adaptors.

Current Equipment:

2 x Windows 7 PCs – no Wi Fi Cards or Plug In Dongles

BT Home Hub 2

3 x Trendnet Powerline Adaptors: 1 for the Hub, 1 each for the PCs.

The PCs originally set up the Hub Connections using the CD that came with the original Hub

using Ethernet Cabling into the Hub Ports.

The Cabling was removed when the PCs were moved to new locations after the acquisition &

installation of Powerline Adaptors.

The new Hub comes with no CD or any detailed information regarding set up with anything

other than Wi Fi enabled devices.

So – how to set up the new hub?

Do I:

• disconnect the old Hub
  • disconnect ALL Powerline Adaptors
  • plug the new hub in as directed
  • await the blue light
  • connect each PC with an Ethernet Cable
  • expect that something will occur to enable me to register the new hub “password”
  • expect that the PCs will now be effectively Internet connected with a secure connection between each of the PCs & the new Hub via Ethernet Cable
  • If so can I now remove the Ethernet Cables & plug in the Powerline Adaptors in the same way as previously & the PCSs  will be working with internet connections as previously
  • If this is how to do it – do I need to do the same for both PCs – or will doing it for one mean that the other will automatically be connected after the Powerline Stage with the first one.

All advice & contributions much appreciated.............

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: BT Smart Hub 6 - Silver Surfer - PC installation Queries

@mcgerkikal 

No CD is needed, just plug in the existing powerline adapter (master) to an Ethernet port on the home hub, and it should just work.

Its advisable to disable "Smart Setup" otherwise you will get nagged to install software which you do not need.

Here is how to disable it.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 21

The hub comes ready configured to connect to Broadband. As Keith says just replace the old hub for the new one. 

Only password required would be to connect devices to the WiFi 

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
mcgerkikal
Beginner
Message 4 of 21

Thank you – both - for the advice.

Before I start could you just clarify the following:

If a simple swap of one Hub for the other & retaining the existing PowerLine set up – “should work” – then what occurs when we get to “Connect Your Device(s)?

If the Hub Connects with each PC – what is then seen to require the Hub Password to be inserted – for each device?

There is a reference to Smart Set up - & disabling this – but I assume this cannot take place until after the Password protected set up has taken place.

Is there a Set Up Screen or something – that shows up etc?

Seems to us "old fogies" that we are used to more detailed instructions from Suppliers - as we do not feel comfortable with "Magical Mystery Tours" !!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

you should just be able to disconnect existing hub and reconnect the new hub using the same cable apart from different power supply.  the power line adaptor should work as if nothing happened

if you  follow the link posted you should be able to turn off smart setup.  this is first task I would do as it can cause problems with devices connecting

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mcgerkikal
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

Thank you - I do appreciate this response - & it repeats the advice previously provided - so all 3 of you appear to be in agreement regarding the issues that I originally raised - but it does not actually cover the points that I raised subsequently. Could you or someone advise - further. Tx.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

not sure I understand as I thought your points were covered

swapping hubs should not affect any of your devices connected by using ethernet cable from your powerline adaptors.  But first thing you need to do is turn off smart setup which will avoid the hub asking about connection of devices.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mcgerkikal
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

You say: "But first thing you need to do is turn off smart setup which will avoid the hub asking about connection of devices."
I understand this - but I have no idea - how we get to this stage.

I asked:
"If the Hub Connects with each PC – what is then seen to require the Hub Password to be inserted – for each device?

There is a reference to Smart Set up - & disabling this – but I assume this cannot take place until after the Password protected set up has taken place.

Is there a Set Up Screen or something – that shows up etc?

Thank you

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

have you actually tried connecting the new hub and then see what startup you get on screen

to enter the hub manager you need to enter 192.168.1.254 into browser address bar then enter the admin password from back of hub  after that you will see on screen the smart setup which you can then disable.

you should be up and running with powerline adaptors connected

0 Ratings
mcgerkikal
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Thank you.

I am used to following instructions when I am dealing with things that I know nothing about & not “winging it” - & like to understand them – in advance - & these have not been provided in detail by BT - in my view.

There is no indication of what screens are expected when setting up the Hub.

The Booklet says nothing - shows nothing.

So I have asked questions of the Community – so that I do not screw up the Set Up - & find that I have swapped a working Hub for a non working one.

The Booklet says:

Turn Hub on
The light on the front changes while your Hub sets itself up.
I know that it is supposed to finally be Blue - & that there are a variety of other colours if there are an assortment of errors – with further instructions.
It then says:
You’re Online – meaning the Hub it set up.
So – at that point – the Hub should be set up………
But – not the PCs……….

It then says:
Connect your Devices (without saying how)
But then:
You’ll need your Hub’s Wireless network Name & Password – on the back of your Hub.
But to do to do what with & where?

It then says:
Finish setting up online with Smart Setup.
When you connect a device to your Hub for the first time your web browser will ask you if you want to activate any of your BT Extras etc.
And tells me where to go to get instructions to turn off Smart set Up – which I understand.

So I was hoping that someone could clarify exactly what is supposed to be seen & then what I should expect to be doing.
0 Ratings