cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

BT Smart Hub 6A - how to log in when in Bridge Mode

Go to solution

I have removed the port forwarding into my CCTV system at home due to security concerns.  So now to access the CCTV system when away from home I plan to use Open VPN.  I’m not an IT expert but will buy an asus router for the vpn server and have discovered how to use a hidden menu in the BT hub to use it in “bridge mode” - only as a modem.

I guess the BT hub’s wifi will be switched off and I presume the four ethernet RJ45 ports that were previously 192.etc LAN ports will then all take on the incoming internet IP WAN address.  So, how will I log into the BT hub when I pluck up the courage to put it in bridge mode?

I assume I will be able to connect any one of the RJ45 ports to the RJ45 WAN port in the asus router.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT Smart Hub 6A - how to log in when in Bridge Mode

Go to solution

Assuming you truly have discovered how to put the hub in bridge mode (many people would be interested in how you achieved that), then it will have no routing capability and suspect the management page will still be the default address of 192.168.1.254 in pretty much the same way that the HG612 modems have a default IP address of 192.168.1.1 when in bridge mode.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply liquorice.  Here’s a snapshot:

No sorry!  I made a snapshot but can’t see how to attach it.

Simply log into the router/advanced/broadband.  Then in the address line change the last bit of the address from /internet to /routing

At the bottom of that page is Bridging Enabled Yes/No.  If I select yes  a window pops up:

Are you sure?

Enabling Bridge mode means Routing, NAT, DHCP Server and Local DNS will be disabled.  The BT Business Smart Hub will only act as a modem.

Anyway licquorice, it looks like this will work, doesn’t it, even though mine was not provided as a business hub.  Please reassure me that you see no reason not to go ahead and buy an asus router...

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Are you sure you have a home hub and not a business hub?

In any case, if it has the option for bridge mode then your plan should be fine.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yes licquorice, absolutely definitely a home hub.  The option to enable bridge mode is not there in the menu unless I change the address.  Isn’t  it likely that the firmware is exactly the same as the business hub to make updates easy and only the menu is different.  Will work with anybody’s hub 6A.

Many thanks for your help!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

They obviously closed the loophole with the SH2 as that option isn't available.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Follow up..

Contrary to my previous message, bridge mode does not work with the home hub 6A.  Although the bridge button illuminates “Yes”, saving results in continuous egg timer and fails to achieve bridge mode.  So, I guess I’ll look for an inexpensive modem to use until openreach get round to installing FTTP - it’s impossible to contact anybody in openreach to find out when that will be!

0 Ratings