Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
daktor
Message 1 of 8

BT Smart Hub (HH6) 5GHZ connection problems

Hello,

looking for some help please.  I see these issues have been posted a lot but I am at the end of my tether with the issues with my Smart Hub.  I have to split bands as my Macbook pro cannot connect to the 2.4GHZ band while i have a USB device connected due to interference.  I have confirmed this with Apple who confirm that their devices should always be connected to a 5GHZ Wifi band for this reason.  An herein lies my problem. The Smart Hub will not all ANY device (we have 2 x iPhone 7 +, 1 x iPhone 6S, 1 x Macbook Pro, 1 x Amazon Fire Stick and 1 x Google Chromecast) on the 5GHZ band.  It either never connects and says incorrect password or initially connects and the drops out after a few seconds and says incorrect password.  

I have been on countless chats with BT on the issue and have exhausted all troubleshooting steps with them to the point on the last call they claim the problem is with my devices  - yes all of them apparently - and not the Smart Hub.  I asked for a replacement to be sent and this was refused as they say they can see (not sure how) that there is nothing wrong with my Smart Hub and that any device they send me will have the same factory settings and so it will be exactly the same.  I am now waiting for a call from the manager but who knows when that will be.  

This is mental and as far as I am concerned if it is as they and nothing is wrong with the specific Smart Hub I have then the whole product is not fit for purpose if it cannot connect to 5GHZ bands across so many different devices.  

Can anyone help or advise on what to do next!

Thanks,

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smart Hub (HH6) 5GHZ connection problems

have you tried a factory reset of the hh6 by pressing the recessed button on the back and holding for 20/30 secs until lights flash

you then need to turn of smart setup and split the networks again and possibly select the wireless channels instead of leaving on auto

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
daktor
Message 3 of 8

Yes been through that many times.  It doesn't help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I use a hh6 and have no problem connecting to the 2.4 or 5ghz networks so product is ok  if you have also tried changing the wireless mode to see if that helps then need to persevere with customer services for a hh6 replacement

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
daktor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks yes ive changed the mode and again no difference.  I've told BT I believe my HH6 is faulty and they should send me a replacement but the have refused.  Crazy and to think I've been a Broadband customer since 2012.  If that manager ever calls me back hopefully he/she may listen and at least try a replacement.  

0 Ratings
SteveOwens
Message 6 of 8

I have had a similar experience today. Some of my devices are not connecting to internet. It's not always the same ones. Two calls to BT today. All kinds of tests and setting and resetting. Turning off and on wifi devices etc. They tell me the signal is fine and that connecting my devices by ethernet works so they have fulfilled their contractual commitments etc. I am using BTWifi with FON at the moment because I can't get internet despite having a strong Wifi signal and at this point ony two devices using wifi. Bottom line ... they won't replace the router and have advised me to get signal extenders. The manager wouldn't speak to me. I asked for a record of the call and was told it would cost me £10. I was told by the BT guy that another solution was to buy a better router but that the Smart Hub I have at the moment waas the best BT could do. So I will go on paying because I'm tied into a contract for the next year and a bit. If I want to make it work as it should I need to have ethernet cables running all over the house or invest in signal extenders which probably aren't the solution because the signal is strong.  Sorry for the rant people. I just need to let off a little steam! 

0 Ratings
daktor
Message 7 of 8

Keep complaining.  I'm expecting my replacement HH6 in the next few days so will see if that makes any difference otherwide I still have my old HH5 which I will revert to as this was trouble free.  

0 Ratings
BoaterDave
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

@daktorwrote:

Keep complaining.  I'm expecting my replacement HH6 in the next few days so will see if that makes any difference otherwide I still have my old HH5 which I will revert to as this was trouble free.  

Please don't forget to come back here to report the outcome!!!!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings