Message 351 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

just turn off smart wireless it is not needed
0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 352 of 763

Already done that months ago and followed best advice on here on set up.

0 Ratings
athlonoc
Contributor
Message 353 of 763

HI all,

Thought I would keep thread going. Convinced HH6 is at fault. I've tried two now and problems similar to those mentioned in this thread.

RANDOM dropouts ( anytime of day - more than once etc. )

Today I decided to see if it was my connection or wireless router

Tablets / sky Q / phones etc just couldn't connect so I connected laptop via RJ45 cable and could access the internet and smart hub interface.

This to me would infer that the wireless element of the hub is at fault and not the moden element.

Am I right in my assumption and therefore should I now go back to BT and request another router.

JUST A THOUGHT

Is there any way to get hold of the various firmwares and flash the Hub to see which firmware works best for me. It appears to auto update whether you want the firmware upgrade or not. Currently on 16/11/16

I've two engineer visits in last 2 months to deal with poor speed on Infinity Fibre and all is good now after new Openreach Master Socket and cable replaced.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 354 of 763

- Yes you proved the problem was wireless related.
- Little point in requesting another hub as the problems are caused by firmware or configuration. The hardware is the same commodity hardware used in many other third party products and so not likely to be an issue.
- No there's no way to get any version of the firmware.
0 Ratings
cinek
Contributor
Message 355 of 763

wifi drop out is not resolved with the latest firmware, it "fixed" the issue for about a week.......... wtf bt!!!

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 356 of 763

Less than that for me...even 21EC was better so 1 step forward 2 back with 2236.

As they are on Hub No. 6 you would have thought the basic reliable functionality

would be easy peasy by now. Who tests this firmware as each iteration is

no better or worse than the last?

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 357 of 763

Getting the odd occasion when the Smart Hub is broadcasting with -50db reasonably good

signal (wifi analyser) but the connection has dropped and 'no network is detected'.

A computer reboot doesn't appear to fix it. Tried both the built in Wifi adapter (Broadcom)

and a plug in Netgear USB wifi adapter (A6100) and both had the same issue

so unlikely to be an issue with slightly incompatible 'Wifi chips' assuming that could be

a potential issue.

After a lot of faffing about it comes back a few minutes later and all is well

for a short time (lots of 'connecting' but not succeeding).

Can anyone explain how you can have a full router signal but no working connection

or no network detected?

The Wifi analyser shows other users with lower signal strengths as well as mine.

Getting near the point of going the 3rd party router route if next firmware release

doesn't improve things significantly.

TP-Link VR2600 Version 2 gets mainly good reviews but still a small but significant

proportion of users who have issues with it worringly similar to the Smart Hub.

V1 had a few issues until firmware updates mostly sorted it and V2 has a

slightly different updated Broadcom chipset. Will wait until further reviews appear to

confirm it's still OK or a new firmware is released (no new one's currently).

Can anyone recommend it as could be opening another can of worms if luck

runs out?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 358 of 763

@fred2103 wrote:

Can anyone explain how you can have a full router signal but no connection

or no network detected?

The Wifi analyser shows other users with lower signal strengths as well as mine.

Because they are operating at different layers of the ISO model. You can have wireless connectivity without IP connectivity.

0 Ratings
oldforger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 359 of 763

I truly despair of the HH6 I have purchased from BT; it is completely unreliable, it has completely messed up my home network,  drops connections to devices at random, messed up a long established VPN connection, confused my home plug set-up which was previously rock solid and has made me a very unhappy BT customer.

I wish I had never bought the **bleep** thing to be honest. Understandable on early iterations of a device but by the 6th generation this shouldn't happen. Not fit for purpose in my view.

I know it is not just me experiencing this frustration as evidenced by the tide of dissatisfaction expressed on these boards under various threads. 

Thank you for allowing this small rant (which I fully realise solves nothing and is ultimately pointless) and goodnight.

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 360 of 763

Not sure if weather is affecting things but Smart Hub (2236 firmware) has been absolute

rubbish today with no networks found on 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands for long periods

and when it did come up frequent disconnections with the blue light glowing solidly

throughout (maybe mocking me!!!). Resets didn't help.

Please BT DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PILE OF ............

0 Ratings