Noticed mine changed today but shows up as ....0223E FIRMWARE not 2236 with

a 24th Nov date.

Fingers crossed not another b.... up.

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 372 of 763

Re: BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) Bug Reporting + Improvements

Noticed ipv6 enabled but could have happened before latest 24th nov update?

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 373 of 763

Early days as previous firmwares appeared to work better for a short period (a few days) then go

down the pan.

But.... 2.4 band solid so far (less than a day with new firmware) BUT 5Ghz band starting to play up

with freezes and disconnects although a bit less frequent than before....ALSO had a

'cannot find network' event so maybe there is still work to do BT.

Jury still out then on the latest firmware!!!

0 Ratings
Poppy7
Contributor
Message 374 of 763

We had high hopes for the BT smart hub ( have had two of them and still not right ) after reading the initial excellent 'expert' reviews. Won't believe anything I read now and won't have any new piece of tech until it has been on the market for at least 12 months with all the bugs ironed out of it. Just feel stupid for falling for all the hype. Usually quite cautious about these things. Don't think any new firmware is going to make things better at the moment. The experimenting and tinkering goes on!

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 375 of 763

5ghz definately back to regular drops and 'can't find network' EVEN QUICKER

than before so back to the drawing board then or at least get a new firmware team.

What is going on???? Rapidly loosing patience.

0 Ratings
mrangryoven
Aspiring Contributor
Message 376 of 763

My router seems to have rebooted overnight because some devices such as my phone and Laptop (both have 5Ghz network cards in) did not connect automatically for some reason. My firmware has also now moved to 223E.

https://puu.sh/stS0O/4e2c013219.png

Its still hard to say whether the firmware update fixed the 2.4Ghz issues as the family members devices that were having problems havent actually been switched on for a decent amount of time and all of my personal devices are either using ethernet or 5Ghz wireless as my laptop is Dual Band N and my phone is AC wireless.

HOWEVER, my laptop doesnt seem to be able to get IPv6 connectivitiy at the moment, the router says its enabled but my network adapter says "No Network Access" im assuming it cant get an IPv6 address from the DCHP server for some reason.

I will have to check whether my other systems on the network can get IPv6 connectivity later as my media servers and other systems in the house are not powered up yet. 

0 Ratings
fred2103
Aspiring Expert
Message 377 of 763

What are the benefits of ipv6?

I thought it was just a system to extend the available internet addresses

as apparently with billions of users we are running out under ipv4.

I'd also assumed there would be no other 'improvements'

from this 'upgrade'.

As both ipv4 and ipv6 are enabled in the current software

can I assume there is nothing else to do with the settings.

As a bit of a novice in this area is anyone able to put me right?

0 Ratings
mrangryoven
Aspiring Contributor
Message 378 of 763

IPv6 doesnt provide a lot of benefits, however, im not sure if BT have implemented IPv6 like the US have but IPv4 here we use NAT (Network Address Translation) which gives all the devices in the local network the same EXTERNAL IP address. In the US IPv6 doesnt use NAT so each device has its own EXTERNAL IP address as theres a literal near infinite amount of addresses with IPv6, however im not sure if BT has implemented separate public addresses with their IPv6 (in other words, i havent checked before). However, if a site supports IPv6 (such as google) you may find that google pages may load quicker as not everyone is connecting using IPv6, you'll still connect to the same server but using a different protocol.

Im not exactly an expert in IPv6 either but thats what I believe to be the case.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 379 of 763

@mrangryoven wrote:

HOWEVER, my laptop doesnt seem to be able to get IPv6 connectivitiy at the moment, the router says its enabled but my network adapter says "No Network Access" im assuming it cant get an IPv6 address from the DCHP server for some reason.

I will have to check whether my other systems on the network can get IPv6 connectivity later as my media servers and other systems in the house are not powered up yet. 

If you go to the Advanced settings -> IPv6 -> Status page (http://192.168.1.249/0000012803/gui/#/ipv6/status) do you see an address beginning 2a00: under the IPv6 WAN details section? It should look something along the lines of the following. 

Hub IPv6 status: Enabled
IPv6 network status: Enabled
IPv6 WAN details ---------------- Global unicast address: 2a00:23c5:5500:d701:924d:4aff:fe0a:918d Global unicast prefix/length: 2a00:23c5:5500:d701::/64 Link local address: fe80::924d:4aff:fe0a:918d Remote link local address: fe80::223:3eff:fe6e:e650 DNS: Not available

0 Ratings
mrangryoven
Aspiring Contributor
Message 380 of 763

Yes I do, and the my main desktop PC has an IPv6 connection to the internet. It seems to be my laptop playing about a bit at the moment. I have found that the HH6 sometimes struggles to lease v6 addresses to 5Ghz clients with certain network adapters.

0 Ratings