cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angharads1985
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Smart Hub - I cannot connect devices since BT Fon was activated!!!

Somebody please help. It is now the 3rd day of being unable to connect my devices (bar 1 ipad) to my smart hub. I've had the hub about 3 weeks, everything was working fine, 70mbs wireless connection, everything connected great.

2 days ago the router rebooted itself as though it had done an update. My android phone had disconnected.....then other things started dropping out. The morning after all i could connect was one ipad.

I've so far wasted 4 hours chatting to BT trying various fixes. Eventually yesterday they disabled the BT Fon function and it disappeared from my list of available networks. Hey presto the devices all connected. As I breathed a sigh of relieve BT Fon reappeared and everything disconnected from the router again!!!

According to the person I was talking to, it would take 8-24 hours to go back off, and it is definitely now disabled on my account.

24 hours later it is still there and I can't connect anything except the 1 ipad. I'm paying for premium BT fibre that I can't use. My only option now appears to be to waste another 2 hours and see what else they can come up with.

I'm livid, please can anyone suggest anything else? I've tried splitting the networks, smart hub is disabled, and i've changed the WiFi password(?!!)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Smart Hub - I cannot connect devices since BT Fon was activated!!!

Not sure there is a fix at this point. Seems you're having the same problems as a number of users who have posted to the discussion Hub 6 wireless now unuseable.

Regards

0 Ratings
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Sorry but I am in exact same position as you. Also timescale of 3 weeks fits with mine. As the previous post says there is another thread.

Only difference we have is I could never get it to work. Apparently has a mind of its own. My wife and I have identical smartphones. Hers works. Mine feebly so by connecting to 5ghz and ensuring mobile data switched off. Spotify not listenable. And two Gramofon devices not compatible.

I have finally given up today after so much frustration. I am reverting to HH5.

Totally disgraceful to launch a product with so many bugs.

Ian

0 Ratings
angharads1985
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Have you had any luck getting a response from BT? On my 3rd call having wasted 5 hours chatting to them on the 1st and 2nd call I asked them to replace the hub. They agreed and a new hub is on its way, but I'm concerned that the new one will have the same problems or break the way my original one did....especially when the BT Fon is activated.

I've currently borrowed a Hub 5 from a neighbour and it works fine, but I'll need to return it soon. I was also told by the 3rd BT person I spoke to that it can take up to 30 days for Fon to be de-activated...... I'm tempted to use the Hub 5 until then!!

0 Ratings
Clowny
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Another one with issues here.

Been away for a couple of weeks and arrived back yesterday to see BT Fon and BT X networks suddenly appeared, even though opted out over a year ago. I guess renewing the contract makes BT think they can ignore your previous requests to opt out of the system?

Anyway, unable to connect, unable to logon to the hub most of the time now. I'll start on at BT tomorrow morning, however judging from the responses here I'm not holding my breath

0 Ratings
Pumps100
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I have been back on HH5 since Saturday with no issues.

Spent about one hour on the phone yesterday trying to expedite refund of the £50 plus delivery for the useless SmartHub.

Have submitted formal complaint which I escalated today.

Currently I am doing the rounds with the so called trusted experts who gave the SmartHub glowing reviews (@daveludlow...).

Cannot understand BT's apparent reluctance to refund. Just imagine if you bought something from Amazon or any other national retailer and it stopped working within weeks. They would refund you immediately. Perhaps BT don't want to admit that they have a very significant problem on their hands. 

Regards

Ian

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Under the Consumer Act 2015 you have the right for refund if product is not fit for purpose and you have 30 days to reject it. The problem is BT has made it difficult to exercise your right to reject the item by not giving the consumer details on how to send the item back. But a big organisation like BT must have it somewhere on how to reject and claim refund but I have not seen it. It's well hidden!

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 11

How does the 30 days work though when the organisation changes something that affects it's operation? FON wans't enabled when people originally got these things, and I suspect many will now have had the hub more than 30 days.

Regards

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

@smf22, @Pumps100 The fact that FON was not enabled was probably due to the firmware glitch because all new hubs are enabled by default and the TR69 system is supposed to recognised whether the account holder is opted in or out and configure the hub accordingly. This is how it should work in my opinion.

But the fact that devices can not be connected once the FON is enabled could be a firmware issue and needs to be resolved but until that occurs the hub is rendered not fit for purpose.

If BT are not refunding and the hub was purchased with a credit card then it could fall in Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I have a hub 6 and have had for some months and have BT WI-FI activated and have never had any problems with any wireless issues
0 Ratings