Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyAbbott
Beginner
Message 11 of 26

Re: BT Smart Hub SG4B1000D038 Firmware Update

Go to solution

Ok, update time! I factory reset the router and initially the speed was restored! However, it pretty much straight away vanished! So I split the channels and connected via each one. 5g was poor whereas 2.4g was close to normal speed, around 45meg compared to 53meg, so I am happy for now but hoping that a future update will reverse the change and allow me to only have one SSID. Thanks for your help on this. It was driving me mad! 

0 Ratings
Sharon-S
Beginner
Message 12 of 26

Go to solution

So happy I found this. I had been away on holiday and when I came home my iPhone 6s was dreadful on Wi-fi. I have reset network settings three times over the last week and also done a factory restore twice. Works for a while and then reverts to everything being slow. Perfect on other Wi-fi networks.

It was only today that I noticed the firmware had been updated while I was on holiday. As a BT Plus customer I called them and the suggestion was to factory restart the Smart Hub and monitor for a day. I did mention that problems appeared to have started after the firmware update but they couldn’t help me on that. 

I will call them again tomorrow armed saying I am not the only one having problems.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 26

Go to solution

@Sharon-S

before phoning if you have reset the hub did you then turn off smart setup?

then did you split the networks to see if that helped your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Sharon-S
Beginner
Message 14 of 26

Go to solution

Yes, first thing I did was turn off smart hub. Not a feature I have ever liked. I haven’t split the network yet but will try tomorrow as I had just done another full factory reset on phone and I’m done for today having spent so much time on it. Luckily, iPad working fine,  but it’s not cellular so for somethings I have to use the phone. My data allowance was was being used up rapidly! Very annoying when I have super fast internet and have to revert to 4g.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 15 of 26

Go to solution

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for highlighting this issue and welcome to the community.  I am very sorry to read of your experience with the 5GHz wireless range and the speed you can achieve when connecting an iPhone.

We have highlighted your comments to our dedicated hub team for advice.  They have confirmed that they have seen a few instances which match your description. It appears that this issue effects some older iPhone models (iPhone 6S and iPhone 7).  The good news is that the hub team have also confirmed that switching your wireless mode to option 2 will alleviate the problem.

To change your wireless mode follow these instructions,

1. Open a new web browser on a device connected to your Hub and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This will open the Hub manager
  2. Click Advanced Settings
  3. Click Wireless
  4. Enter the admin password. Unless you've previously changed it, you'll find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub. If you have changed it and now forgotten it, you can use the password override feature to set up a new password without losing all your personal Hub settings and configuration
  5. By default your BT Smart Hub will be in Mode 1. To change mode click on the Mode box and select the mode you want to use.
  6. Select the mode you want to use and click Set
  7. Remember once you make any changes you will need to save them. Click Save
  8. After changing the configuration settings, devices connected to your BT Smart Hub may lose connection. For devices connected via wireless you may lose access to the BT Hub Manager pages. You'll need to reconnect using the instructions provided with each device.

Changing wireless mode on the BT Smart Hub

The team are investigating and will be working to get an update to the hubs.  When I learn more I will be back here to share the information.

Once again I am very sorry for any inconvenience this is causing.

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
Sharon-S
Beginner
Message 16 of 26

Go to solution

@imjolly

@SeanD

The split of the network has worked for me and has been stable for the last 5 days. Hopefully I will not have to do anything else before BT release another firmware with the fix included.

Should I have any more problems I will follow the solution as provided by @SeanD

Thank you all for your assistance.

0 Ratings
Sonia29
Beginner
Message 17 of 26

Go to solution
@SeanD

Unfortunately mode 2 does not work for me. Something definitely changed after that update! 5ghz seems to playing up, all our devices are now permanently connected to the 2.4ghz.
I also noticed my router had reset itself after 12 days. Hopefully there is an update soon!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

Go to solution

Have you split the 2.4/5ghz networks as posted already

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
dclawson
Beginner
Message 19 of 26

Go to solution

Thank you for everyone's suggestions and feedback.

Whilst this is being patched I have switched to Mode 2 and all seems to work well now.

Are there any drawbacks to being on Mode 2?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 26

Go to solution

Smart Hub Modes:

Mode 1 = g/n and a/n/ac

Mode 2 = b/n/g and a/n

Mode 3= b/g and a

0 Ratings