cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rscantrell
Message 1 of 8

BT Smart Hub - cannot connect Nintendo Switch to wifi - Help!

Hi

I am trying to connect a new Nintendo Switch to BT Smart Hub over wi-fi.

The Switch locates the wi-fi network without issue but will not connect despite entering the correct password. My wi-fi settings are shown in the attached photo. I have tried:-

- changing the channels on both 2.4 and 5ghz bands

- separating 2.4 and 5ghz bands so they have a separate SSID

- changing the "wireless mode" to 1, 2 and 3

- turning off WPS

- changing the security type to WPA

The only way I have been able to connect the Switch to the Smart Hub is by changing the security type to "none" which is clearly not recommended. I have been able to connect the Switch to my phone via a wireless access point without issue. Nintendo's website suggests that the Switch is compatible with WPA2 security type (https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27645/~/what-wireless-modes-and-sec...)

Can anbody help?

Thanks

BT smart hub screengrab.jpg

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT Smart Hub - cannot connect Nintendo Switch to wifi - Help!

Welcome to this user forum.

Try changing the SSID on the home hub, so that it does not have any non-alphanumeric characters in it, as many wireless devices do not like these. In other words no spaces, or dashes, keep it simple,

Try renaming the home hub SSID to something , like  bthub

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@rscantrell

Is the problem now resolved?

0 Ratings
rscantrell
Message 4 of 8

Hi Keith

This worked a dream thank you.

The only downside now is that my SONOS will no longer connect to the wifi since the SSID change. Any ideas with that?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@rscantrell wrote:

Hi Keith

This worked a dream thank you.

The only downside now is that my SONOS will no longer connect to the wifi since the SSID change. Any ideas with that?

Thanks

You would have to delete the existing wifi connection details in the Sonos, then rescan for the new SSID, and re-enter the wireless password, as it will be treated as a new connection.

0 Ratings
rscantrell
Message 6 of 8

Hi

I have tried that - to no avail.

I am connected via Ethernet so it is definitely a wifi problem. I have split out the bands as Sonos specifically asks for a 2.4ghz network but again that hasn't yielded any success so I am slightly at a loss with this one!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@rscantrell wrote:

Hi

I have tried that - to no avail.

I am connected via Ethernet so it is definitely a wifi problem. I have split out the bands as Sonos specifically asks for a 2.4ghz network but again that hasn't yielded any success so I am slightly at a loss with this one!

Do you mean the Sonos connects via Ethernet? In that case changing the SSID should make no difference. It only going to affect any device that was connected using wifi, as they would need to use the new SSID. It has to be something simple that has been overlooked.

I am not familiar with the Sonos sytem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rscantrell
Message 8 of 8

I managed to connect the Sonos by performing a factory reset of the Sonos.

Now, just my Chromecast and Nest cam to go. Any experience with any of these Keith? I have tried a factory reset of both.
0 Ratings