cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eugene7
Contributor
Message 21 of 28

Re: BT Smart Hub - cannot connect to Hub Manger - on one PC only?

Go to solution

Yep, it is just the one PC that will not connect.

But, that is the only Desktop connected via cable.

And yes, I have tried everything you have mentioned, and a lot more...

I can connest to any other Hub.Router, and any other IP address.

And I've dissabed all firewalls, and checked th Host file, as well as all network configurations copared to my other PCs.

I am convinced this is nt a PC issue.

But, what is really, really annoying is that previosuly BT support stated there was a known issue with the Hub firmware, and it was being worked on.

Now they say that is not the case.

So what am I to beleive?

Previosuly they had offered a replacement Hub, so that could be tested, but now I am told that is not an option.

(I turned down the offer of a replacement based on the statement that the Hub had a known firmware isseue.)

Seems to me there are issues with the Hub 6 and BT do not want more going out the door...

What is most annoying is the conflicting support information, and a lack of any attempt at assistance.

If thye think the PC is to blam they should have thoughtd on what that could be - the way I was spoken to was more about 'we just donlt want to deal woth this', with no attempt to offer actual assistance.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 28

Go to solution

Being devils advocate: If it is a firmware issue why does it not affect every hub user or why would it not affect any replacement hub that you might have received if they had sent one out.

When you connect to the hub's management pages from another computer can you see that your PC is connected in the hubs management pages. 

0 Ratings
eugene7
Contributor
Message 23 of 28

Go to solution

So true - but try a Google - I am not the only one with thsi issue...

And why did they day there was a firmware fault, if there isn't one?

Very poor support...

And yes, I can see the desktop connected when I open the Hub Manager on my laptop.

I can even ping the Hub from the Desktop.

Just can't open the Hub Manager, as the connection gets reset.

Really weird, but BT Support are no help...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 28

Go to solution

I would not expect BT first line support to be much help. They can only try and resolve minor issues that are on their prepared fault chart.

I would also not rely much on any information they give regarding firmware problems or updates I doubt they will be in the loop regarding what is happening with firmware problems or when updates will be issued.

Did you try the suggestion from smf22 in message 14?

Given all the things you have said you have tried I am out of ideas so sorry I can't offer more help with this.

0 Ratings
eugene7
Contributor
Message 25 of 28

Go to solution

Well, what do you know...

A new Hub arrived, and I can now connect from my Desktop PC.

I got the new Hub as I had isseus with broadband speed, and it was suggested by BT Support that a new Hub would fix that... (The speed issues showed up using the BT Speed checker within the Hub Manager.)

Regardless, all is now working as far as being able to connect to the Hub Manager!

0 Ratings
bluesmanuk
Message 26 of 28

Go to solution

I currently have this exact issue.

Just one PC not able to connect to th hub via the default address.

I first noticed it a few days ago when upon starting my laptop, the connection to the USB stick plugged into the hub was lost.

I tried every suggestion under the sun and all other devices could connect and my laptop was able to connect to other network resources without issue.

I too was starting to think that this was an issue with the laptop.

But 48 hours before the issue started I had taken a complete image of my laptop, where connectivity was fine, so I restored the image but immediately found the loss of connectivity.

It seems inconceivable that this could happen but it clearly does.

I did also notice that when I used another device to access the hub and set a static ip address for my laptop, despite the router saving the settings, when I next connected, a DHCP assigned address was present and upon checking the router details again, it was still set as static.

Now that I have seen this thread, I will contact support and get a new hub delivered as this has driven me nuts.

0 Ratings
Ian7777
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 28

Go to solution

Had similar problem - I bought smarthub, then after a firmware update I found I could not connect to the hub manager over 192.168.1.254 using an ethernet cable  from my main computer. I could do it wirelessly from a tablet

I found that if you change the IP address of the smarthub management page to a different address 192.168.1.40 using a wireless device it would would connect via wired ethernet. This is an easy workarround

I investigated further and found the my problem to be an strange Antivirus/firewall problem/bug ?

I had already tried dissabling my Kaspersky Internet Security and still could not acccess the management page on 192.168.1.254 and therefore wrongly ruled out the firewall being the problem.

However,  when I uninstalled the anti virus/firewall as experiment I found I could contact to the hub ???

Reinstalling Kasperky then fixed the problem ??

I found this problem elsewhere on the web looks like something gets confused in the firewall and causes devices to not be allowed to access 192.168.1.254 ??

Try uninstalling your firewall and trying to access the hub

0 Ratings
pthomps
Beginner
Message 28 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks Ian7777

Uninstalling Kaspersky and re-installing solved the problem for me too. Spent ages trying to work out what it was (like you, I could access Home Hub manager from a tablet), and started to wonder whether it was my home plugs setup etc.

In the end, the fix was straightforward. And not firmware on the Smart Hub 🙂

0 Ratings