Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

BT Smart Hub wireless password change - puzzled

Go to solution

Hello

hoping someone can answer this little puzzler?

I decided today to change my default password to something a little more secure. The change was done successfully, and I reconnected my WIndows 7 PC, and android phone and tablet to the network using the new password without issue.

However, my brother uses windows 10, and has Apple iphone and ipad - and these devices will only connect to the router using the old password - not the new one. Same goes for smart TVs and printer - they seem to need the old password.

What on earth is going on here? How can 2 different passwords work for the same router?

Have tried the usual tricks like restarting the hub, forgetting the existing wi-fi connection on the apple/windows 10 devices, but to no avail - they still will only connect using the old password, yet I can see the new password set as expected when I go to the relevant page on the smart hub web screen.

Anyone any ideas?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: BT Smart Hub wireless password change - puzzled

Go to solution

Have you previously split the 2.4 and 5ghz networks at all ? Is your laptop connecting using only the 2.4ghz as this is why that password has changed but the 5ghz may not have and your brothers stuff is connecting by the 5ghz which may still have the default password.

The above is a shot in the dark but I think all you need to do is undo the splitting , change the password which should affect both bands and then split them again. Your laptop may only be able to connect using the 2.4 band and can't see the 5ghz band.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply.

And I think you have cracked it - many thanks. Not obvious that is what is required, but it did the trick.

I also realised that some wi-fi extenders we had were configured to the old passowrd as well - these are changed now and all is well with the world.

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

I had the same/similar problem with a Belkin range extender. It had adopted the password and name from the old Orange Livebox and I could not understand why my WiFi list kept coming up with the name of the old router, which was long gone, but could still be connected to. Then the penny dropped when I unplugged it and the old router disappeared. Such fun we have with technology. LOL

0 Ratings