Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthew1
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

BT SmartHub "DSL uptime" Question

Hi,

IT professional here with a simple question. My BT SmartHub (aka. HomeHub 6) seems to disconnect and reconnect every 5 days approx. The SmartHub loses Internet for about 3 minutes then comes instantly back. The SmartHub itself isn't rebooting as the system uptime is not resetting to 0 in the admin interface but the "DSL uptime" is indeed going back to 0 days. There are no other issues with it. Speed is around 70Mbps so the service is otherwise perfect.. but the almost exactly 5 day disconnect is becoming entirely predictable.

I know the SmartHub is supposed to self-reboot for stability, is it normal to get less than 5 days "DSL uptime" with the SmartHub? Has anyone managed to get more than 5 days DSL Uptime on BT Infinity 2?

I rung the BT customer contact centre and they tried convincing me it's a problem with my WiFi (which it's not) and was a little naughty to suggest when they can clearly see the same admin pages I can.

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: BT SmartHub "DSL uptime" Question

@matthew1 wrote:

Hi,

IT professional here with a simple question. My BT SmartHub (aka. HomeHub 6) seems to disconnect and reconnect every 5 days approx. The SmartHub loses Internet for about 3 minutes then comes instantly back. The SmartHub itself isn't rebooting as the system uptime is not resetting to 0 in the admin interface but the "DSL uptime" is indeed going back to 0 days. There are no other issues with it. Speed is around 70Mbps so the service is otherwise perfect.. but the almost exactly 5 day disconnect is becoming entirely predictable.

I know the SmartHub is supposed to self-reboot for stability, is it normal to get less than 5 days "DSL uptime" with the SmartHub? Has anyone managed to get more than 5 days DSL Uptime on BT Infinity 2?  No it should not be rebooting whoever told you that is speaking total rubbish

I rung the BT customer contact centre and they tried convincing me it's a problem with my WiFi (which it's not) and was a little naughty to suggest when they can clearly see the same admin pages I can.

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

a 14 day reset by hub is far more common than your 5 days.  as long as it reconnects with same speed and noise margin it is more inconvenient than an actual problem  there are numerous posts on this subject

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
matthew1
Beginner
Message 4 of 19

@john46 wrote:

@matthew1 wrote:
..I know the SmartHub is supposed to self-reboot for stability, is it normal to get less than 5 days "DSL uptime" with the SmartHub? Has anyone managed to get more than 5 days DSL Uptime on BT Infinity 2?  No it should not be rebooting whoever told you that is speaking total rubbish

"The BT Smart Hub constantly monitors your internet connection. If it spots a problem, it will quietly reboot and make a fresh connection."

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/smart-hub under "BT Smart Scan"

and

"The last thing you want is to be interrupted by your router restarting, if you are using your home wi-fi, so Smart Scan intelligently picks a time to reboot when it’s not being used – such as at night."

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/bt-devices/bt-smart-hub-home-wi-fi-explained-what-are-smart-scan-and...

0 Ratings
matthew1
Beginner
Message 5 of 19

@imjolly wrote:

a 14 day reset by hub is far more common than your 5 days.  as long as it reconnects with same speed and noise margin it is more inconvenient than an actual problem  there are numerous posts on this subject

It's resetting with same speed and I haven't checked noise margin but will do in about 3 more days :).

Agreed it's not like I'm without Internet for extended periods of time.. but I wondered if I should keep pursuing getting it fixed (if it's a fault it's a fault) or if it's a feature and I'm only wasting BT's time trying to stop the disconnections.

As the 5 days often falls on a Friday night or weekend I get a flat full of people suddenly saying "has the Internet gone down?" while we wait on our Saturday mornings for it to come back again. I'd also like to use my public IP address to connect to some devices remotely, which could get annoying if the IP address keeps changing.

A friend has a BT SmartHub too and her uptime seemed equally low (but then her wires are more exposed), which led me to wonder if low DSL uptime is a feature or something to pursue.

If it's a feature I'll power-cycle it at 1am or something so at least the 5 days falls on a time I'm not actually that bothered.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

I have not seen a reboot in over 200 days have you tried turning off smart set up
0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 19

Really? July 2016. So your Hub has not had any of the four or five firmware updates that BT have forced on their Customers since May 2016? So how have you managed to opt out?
prinknash
Expert
Message 8 of 19

It's always been a mystery to me how @john46 has never experienced the 14 day reboots that I understood were universal with home hubs. I haven't used one for a while but in my experience (with HH6 and earlier models) they occurred every 14 days pretty much to the minute.

Does anyone know how some users are exempt from this?

p

0 Ratings
MorgaineD
Expert
Message 9 of 19

@prinknash: Don't forget that we've already determined that @john46's line is different to that of most other BT Infinity users, as his HH5 is enabled for IPv6. (Evidence was posted in the "Smart Hub 5 Firmware" thread.)

It wouldn't surprise me too much if other setup parameters of his line were different too. He's lucky though, quite apart from his HH5's IPv6. Forced reboot when there are active sessions in operation is a service fault, even if BT considers it "working as expected" and even if it's only once a fortnight. There is no circumstance in which breakage of a subscriber's existing TCP sessions is not a service fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

I know of a few Homehub users who have never had 14 day reboots. I checked a HomeHub 4 yesterday and it presently has an uptime of 94 days.

I know that some people have reported that their Homehubs do reboot every 14 days and that a moderator has said that the reboot was being caused by the Homehub rather than anything elss on BT's side but I don't know where the you got "14 day reboots were universal"  from.

I think the question you should have asked is "Does anyone know how this happens for some?"

0 Ratings