cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 30

BT Smarthub 2 disconnecting

I am hoping someone can help.  We have a Smart hub 2 and 3 black wholehome wi-fi discs.  The hub is constantly dropping the connection.  At least 6 times a day.  I have had 3 engineers out over the past 10 days, both BT and Openreach engineers.  They all give me conflicting information either they can’t find a fault or they have fixed the fault.  I have reset the hub back to factory settings and also all 3 wi-fi discs back to factory settings.  I have also ran a quiet  line test on my house phone and that is fine.

We had a  new smart hub 2 about 6 months as we were having the same problems, BT say they have checked the Smart hub and it’s working fine.  They just can’t give me an explanation as to why the hub keeps dropping the connection.  I have read all the information about the best place to position the Smart hub etc etc.  I am at my wits end, as when the hub goes off my son is disconnected from Fortnite when he is in the middle of a game. 

When I talk to BT about the problem they see always see a fault but when the engineers turn up to my property they never know anything about the fault and I have to explain all over again.  I have had at least 15 engineer visits in 2020 alone and quite often the engineer can’t find a fault.

Does anyone have any other ideas as I am getting no-where with BT ☹

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: BT Smarthub 2 disconnecting

@andreaferns120472 

Welcome to this user forum.

Do the lights on the home hub change colour when you get the disconnections?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 30

hi there.  Yes when the hub disconnects it flashes orange then eventually after about 7 minutes it returns to stable blue.  But this is constantly happening throughout the day

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 30

@andreaferns120472 wrote:

hi there.  Yes when the hub disconnects it flashes orange then eventually after about 7 minutes it returns to stable blue.  But this is constantly happening throughout the day

During the time that its flashing orange, have you checked the phone line for any noise, using the quiet line test?

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 30

My master socket is an openreach double socket

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 30

@andreaferns120472 wrote:

My master socket is an openreach double socket

Is it this one with the clip on front? If not, then which one  5 or 6?

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 30

BT.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

Did you receive the picture?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 30

Thanks.

They are know to have a very high fault rate due to poor connections, and will often disconnect when people walk past them, which will most likely be the cause  of your problem. The front section makes very poor connection with the back. You may find that the clips holding the front part on, are quite loose.

You need to unclip the front part to reveal the test socket, then connect things up as shown below. Leave it like that for a few days to see if it stops the disconnections.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

Message 10 of 30

Do you mean when walking past the master socket?  This is in the corner of a room with a small cupboard in front of it.  So no one every walks past it

0 Ratings