cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 30

Re: BT Smarthub 2 disconnecting

Also the picture you have shown is for a single socket we have a double socket.  And also I cant really see the instructions in detail as the picture is too small

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 30

@andreaferns120472 wrote:

Do you mean when walking past the master socket?  This is in the corner of a room with a small cupboard in front of it.  So no one every walks past it

No, even just a slight bit of vibration can cause the disconnection, it a known problem. The front part is a broadband filter which plugs into the test socket behind. The tension on the clips is insufficient to ensure a good connection between the two parts, and this caused intermittent disconnections which are difficult to locate.

Provided you have a spare microfilter (they come with the home hubs), then connecting that to the test socket as shown on my diagram, will eliminate that bad connection, and prove whether that is what is causing your fault.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 30

ok many thanks I will give it a go and let you know

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 30

Also the picture you have shown is for a single socket we have a double socket.  And also I cant really see the instructions in detail as the picture is too small

That is explained on the diagram.

Its the same whether its a single one or a double one, its the same connection inside.

The diagram should be big enough unless you are trying to show it on a mobile phone.

Here it is again a bit bigger.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 30

ok many thanks I will give it a go and let you know

This issue has been reported quite a few times on this forum. Its a design fault with the way the socket is constructed. Hopefully, that is the cause of your disconnections.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 30

Hi There

Just giving you an update as you have been so kind in trying to help me with my problem.  So, I followed your advice and removed the plate and used a micro filter and yes, the smarthub 2 has stopped disconnecting after doing this.  I contacted BT explaining this and they just kept telling me that the Smarthub does not need a micro filter.  I told them them that the Openreach plate is faulty but they say they are not responsible for this.  I have bought a new Openreach Master Socket but no idea how to fit this and of course if I try to do this and I do it incorrectly then I will have more of a problem.  However I have managed to get a BT Home Tech Expert Engineer to visit on the 5th January any advice on what I should ask them to do?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 30

To be honest, that design of master socket gives lots of problems, owing to the fact that its only held together by a couple of clips. There have been a number of similar reports on this forum. Its a waste of time explaining it to BT, as they do not understand the problem.

Personally, I would just leave it as it is, with just the microfilter plugged into the test socket, as it going to be the most reliable and has the minimum of connections.

I would not advise changing the master socket, unless it was one of an older design, which has screws to hold both parts together.

I cannot see that the BT Home Tech Expert can do anything, as they would not be able to change the master socket for an older design, so I think it would be a waste of time.

If its now working without any problems, then I would leave things alone.

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 30

Hello again

So the Smarthub 2 has been OK since I followed your instructions.  It maybe went of only about once a day.  However over the last couple of days it has gone back to disconnecting around 6 or 7 times a day  mainly in the evening.  Thought we had fixed the problem 😞  Any other ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 30

Hello again

So the Smarthub 2 has been OK since I followed your instructions.  It maybe went of only about once a day.  However over the last couple of days it has gone back to disconnecting around 6 or 7 times a day  mainly in the evening.  Thought we had fixed the problem 😞  Any other ideas?

Perhaps there is a bad connection in that master socket, or an intermittent connection on the external network? This could of course, be a new fault.

Are the lights on the home hub still changing colour when you get the disconnections?

Sometimes its just wireless connections that are lost, as that would be a different issue.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 30

Hi

When the hub disconnects the lights flash orange, purple  and then eventually go back to stable blue.  All devices loose connection when this happens apart from Sky Q boxes as these hard wired using a Net Gear Switch.  My sons PC also looses connection even though his PC has a hard wire connection using a BT Mini connector. Hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings