cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 30

Re: BT Smarthub 2 disconnecting

@andreaferns120472 wrote:

Hi

When the hub disconnects the lights flash orange, purple  and then eventually go back to stable blue.  All devices loose connection when this happens apart from Sky Q boxes as these hard wired using a Net Gear Switch.  My sons PC also looses connection even though his PC has a hard wire connection using a BT Mini connector. Hope that makes sense.

Then if all the connections to the master socket are fine, then it would suggest that is an external line fault.

Check your phone line for noise, dial 17070 and select option 2, and see if there is any noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 30

I have ran a quite line test and there is no noise.  These disconnections always seem to happen in the evening after around 5 or 6pm!

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 30

@andreaferns120472 wrote:

I have ran a quite line test and there is no noise.  These disconnections always seem to happen in the evening after around 5 or 6pm!

Possibly some form of electrical interference, as a line fault would happen all the time. See if its anything new in the house, which may be causing interference about that time. Was anything new bought at Christmas, that is in use about that time?

Faults like that, are very difficult to locate, but if you have a portable medium wave radio receiver, then interference can usually be heard on that, about the same time.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 30

Thanks for your reply, your help is so much appreciated.  This problem has been going on for months and months and I know BT will say they are not responsible for any electrical interference. So my next question is how do I use a portable medium wave radio receiver?  Or even better I would like to get an an expert to come and check all this  but no idea what kind of person I need to be contacting.  Any ideas?

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 30

A common source of interference is a gas boiler thermostat switching on and off., and that produces a loud buzzing noise on a portable radio, which can last for up to a minute, and usually occurs about every 20 minutes.

See https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Openreach do have people who can investigate this type of thing, so I suspect you are going to have to contact BT, and ask for a visit from Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 26 of 30

What you are saying makes sense, I think it's the thermostat for our oil boiler (not gas)  but any idea what I can do about this? Should the BT engineer not be able  to fix this?

I have BT Cube engineer coming tomorrow, not sure what a Cube engineer is!

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 30

I an not sure about oil boilers, but if you turned it off during the time that you expect to get the disconnections, then that would prove whether its that causing the interference.

If it is that, then it may be some form of electrical breakdown on the igniter, and you would need a boiler engineer to look at it. It may be that the insulation on the high voltage igniter has broken down, or the igniter itself needs replacing. It may be something else, like a room thermostat.

If its not normally on during the day, then that may be the answer. You should be able to look at what its doing, when you see the home hub lights flashing.

I doubt whether the Qube engineer would be able to help with this, but there is no harm in asking for advice.

Its really out of scope for this forum, I can only suggest that it might be interference.

0 Ratings
Message 28 of 30

@andreaferns120472 

Did Qube suggest anything?

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 30

The only thing they said is they cant find a fault, and other equipment can not be interfering as they are not not wi-fi, such as boiler etc.  They also said everyone is is working from home so using residential line.  Still facing issues with smarthub 2 disconnecting and BT are still looking into the problem!  Thank you for asking.

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 30

Thanks for the update.

0 Ratings