cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Craig_C
Message 1 of 2

BT Smarthub 6 running out of steam

I have a BT Smarthub 6 but i live in a large victorian house where wifi just doesnt get through the walls. I therefor run 6 access points dotted round the house and tunr off the BT Wifi. I have 3 kids with 3 or 4 devices each and smart TV's. When I apply access rules to all their devices 18 in total, the performance of the router drops significantly, especially on the hours where the kids devices are blocked from accessing the internet. Other devices positivly crawl along. I am assuming the Homehub 6 uses a lookup table for each mac address and when any request is made it checks this table before forwarding the requested packets of data and the CPU in the router is not up to the job of so many entries.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I have 2 BT TV boxes in the house so I have to be careful which routers i use. I am thinking of changing for a TP-Link Archer VR2600 as this has a dual core ARM CPU if i cannot get the Smarthub to behave.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
mychips
Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT Smarthub 6 running out of steam

Not sure if this may be of help but we live in a large end terrace house in which we have a cellar and a loft conversion and have the BT Whole Home WiFi and and plugged into that a BT YouView 4K box into the back of one of the discs. I myself have to restrict the younger members of the family and with this system you can create a Guest Wifi and I when needed just switch that off so no access to that Wifi and so no impact on your own internal private wifi network. or you can set up groups and then "Pause" the wifi.

I have the 3 discs and works i must say really well and has been money well spent, and think the guest WiFi would work well for what your looking for.

Hope this has helped    

0 Ratings