cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Windward10
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

BT Smarthub & D-Link 880l

I am a real newbie at networking, routers etc. Due to DSS-PSI requirements I have had to upgrade my firewall and the BT Smarthub on ADSL will not cut the mustard. I have bought a DIR-880l and delivery happened some while ago, but I couldn't get time to set it up. I have discovered that I stupidly ordered the wrong item and it needed a dsl modem and it is too late to return it.

I have a BT Smarthub and tried to set it up as a modem only (Wifi off and DCHP off), but although it will connect to BT via PPoE, the D-Link router connects then drops straight out. The only way I can get the two to see each other is to a) leave DCHP on, 2) set the IP range on the Smart Hub to 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.65 and I get internet. Trouble is I no longer get IPv6 only IPv4 and I am not sure how secure this is. I am into day 5 of trying different set ups, but must acknowledge I don't know enough to fix this. Can anyone talk me through the settings or make any suggestions?

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Mad

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: BT Smarthub & D-Link 880l

Welcome to this user forum.

The smart hub cannot be used as a modem, you would have to obtain a separate modem.

Is it a normal BT Broadband connection, or BT Infinity?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 3 of 12

If looking for a modem you might get a used Openreach one from the usual auction site.  However if you want a new one there are only two devices available, the Netgear DM200 and the DrayTek Vigor 130.  The Netgear is a limited capability router and needs to be configured as a modem only.  The DrayTek works out of the box, no configuration required.  Both new devices support both ADSL and VDSL.  No idea how good the Netgear is but I use a Vigor 130 here and found it most reliable.

Router settings would consist of selecting PPPoE,( if on Infinity.  PPPoA if on ADSL standard broadband), username of  bthomehub@btbroadband.com  and password bt.  The modem is handling the connection so not much else should be required.

For IPv6 select Native IPv6 connection and DHCPv6 for address assignment.

For IPv6 to work properly the router must support a /56 prefix delegation.  Many do not.

0 Ratings
Windward10
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

I have a standard BT connection through twin copper wires. I appreciate that the smart hub is supposed to be for fibre but Since coming back to BT I have been having problems with connections. These won't be fixed until they renew our cable, but that's not going to happen. In the meantime they have sent me three different routers and the Smart hub is the last.

Using the Smarthub as a router is working at present, but I can only access IPv4 not IPv6 and I have to leave DCHP switched on on both the Smarthub and the router, which I am not happy about.

If I turn off DCHP on the Smarthub, it shows as connected but the router won't connect and I cannot log in to the Smarthub via ethernet on (192.168.1.254). Any suggestions how I get round this?

I have set the router/hub to PPoE as suggested in other posts and set-up suggestions, but should I use PPoA with BT ADSL?

0 Ratings
Liam_
Expert
Message 5 of 12

Without a proper modem the LAN behind the D-Link 880l will suffer from double NAT.  IE:  The hub is doing NAT and passing on a private address to the D-Link where NAT will be applied again.  You could use the D-Link as a wireless access point but that rather defeats the purpose of the more capable router.

Below are the settings required for a third party modem/router (A combined unit like the hub is).  Though in your case as you need a modem only the settings should not be required as the MODEM should recognise the connection type automatically.

Modem settings for BT:

ADSL

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

bt

MTU 1500

VPI =0

VCI =38

PPPOA

VC based Mux

VDSL

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

bt

VLAN ID     101

VPI         1

VCI         32

select PPPoE

0 Ratings
Windward10
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

I have ADSL on twin copper wires as we are unable to get cable or fibre as we are a rural site.

The DIR-880l router doesn't have a setting for PPPoA and will only connect with the Smarthub if the smart hub has DCHP set to on. I have assigned the router an IP address of 192.168.1.64 and set it in a DMZ on the Smarthub to avoid double natting???(online forum advice). This set up works but:-

I cannot access IPv6 and the router will only accept a setting of DCHP and won't recognise PPPoE on either IPv4 or IPv6

If I set the Smarthub DCHP to off, I can no longer log into the Smarthub via ethernet and have to factory reset and start all over.

I am way out of my depth with all this and don't have the networking knowledge to understand or recognise if I am doing something wrong. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

I strongly suggest you either bite the bullet and get a proper modem/router or buy a standalone modem. Trying to bodge a Smarthub will only end in tears and is not a proper solution.

dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

My thinking is turn DHCP off on the D-Link, keeping IPv4 and IPv6 DHCP only on for the hub. The BT router should now take care of your IPv6 issues. Manually change the DNS settings on the D-Link to either public DNS servers (e.g. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4), or BTs (62.6.40.178 and 62.6.40.162), or a mixture of the two.

0 Ratings
Windward10
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thanks dgw1

DNS Servers - I am going to be using Comodo secure servers, I assume this won't be an issue?

One of the reasons for changing away from the smarthub (other than firewall) is the number of devices that will be recognised by the DCHP. There seemed to be a limit of 5 that worked without one dropping out. There is no wifi channel interference.

If the Smarthub is managing the DCHP are there any security issues.? I assume that I would set the D-Link router to (Dynamic) DCHP for the input rather than PPPoe. Would that affect the IPv6?

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

As it's your smart hub that is connected to your broadband service you don't need to worry about that side of the configuration (PPPoA/PPPoE). DHCP needs to be switched off on the second hub, just let the BT hub take care of that side of things (these are internal/local IP settings, so in my opinion there's no need to worry about the security implications of it). Speaking of your BTs DHCP settings have you kept it to its default settings, something like 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.200 will suffice if not. You may also want to change the IP of your new router to something like 192.168.1.201 taking it outside of the BTs DHCP range. Using the Comodo DNS servers also looks fine too. Let us know how you get on  🙂

0 Ratings