Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westcros
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

BT Sport 4K problems with NOW TV SMART box

Go to solution

I am having a problem with a NOW TV smart box but will stress that I am not using a BT Smart Hub as i found that very unreliable and use a TP Link Archer VR2600.

For a while now I have been running the BT Ultra Youview box and run BT Sport in 4k without issue. Also connected to the same ethernet switch I have a standard Now TV box (Roku brand) . All has been running well together for ages.

However i recently aquired  one of the newer Now TV SMART boxes and when I plug this into the network switch, it knocks out BT Sport 4k as in it causes green /  very patchy screen as if it is having a problem getting a signal. All other channels, HD and standard work absolutely fine. It is just an issue with BT sport 4K. All my devices are connected via 1gb ethernet.

Any ideas out there as to what the issue could be? 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: BT Sport 4K problems with NOW TV SMART box

Go to solution

Is your network switch a managed or unmanaged switch?

Unmanaged switches will pass all packets, including multicast from BT Vision, which you don`t really need at your NOW TV box.

A managed switch will prevent this from happening.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGMP_snooping

Quote "By listening to these conversations the switch maintains a map of which links need which IP multicast streams. Multicasts may be filtered from the links which do not need them and thus controls which ports receive specific multicast traffic."

How many ports do you have on your network switch?

Here is an example of one of my Netgear switches. This is the default setting. I do not have any multicast services, but it does block a lot of rubbish emanating from an Apple computer on my guest network.

igmp on netgear.jpg

westcros
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Many thanks for the quick response.

i did wonder if it could be something to do with the multicast and the switch that I use - yes its unmanaged so i guess i wil need to go shopping.

On more question if i may - since the BT Box uses muticast i guess that stays plugged into the existing unmanaged switch and the managed switch will be additionnal (i.e . the two swiches will be connected)? Sorry, though i have been fiddling with a home network for years I've never used a manged switch before.

Thanks again

Graham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

It makes little difference how you connect it, but you can use the managed switch for everything, so you only need one switch. The switch will correctly route the multicast packets to the BT Vision box.

The NETGEAR GS105E-200UKS ProSAFE 5 Port Web Managed (Plus) Gigabit Ethernet Switch (£24.95)  is one option, and also has lots of extra reatures like QOS and rate limiting on all ports if you want.

There is also an eight port version if you need more than five ports. I have two eight port, and one five port.

westcros
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

HI Keith,

I have just ordered the eight port version from Amazon and it will be here this evening, I'll post on here later how I get on.

Many thanks

Graham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

The earlier versions could only be managed using a Windows program, but the later versions can use a web browser as well.

You can configure the switch to have a static IP address instead of DHCP, as it makes it easier to manage. I use IP addresses starting 192.168.1.20, which are outside of the DHCP range so they do not clash with the home hub allocations.

You may find that the default settings work without any changes, but is worth delving into to settings to see what you can do.

It has port mirroring and cable test options.

I use the port mirroring on my primary switch, so I can troubleshoot any network issues, using Wireshark.

If you want to, you can give the incoming Internet port, and the one connected to the Vision box, the highest priority. Use the port based QOS mode, as its easiest to manage. That will always ensure that the Vision box has priority, and will not suffer losses from dropped packets.

I also use the port based VLAN options to separate my guest network, from my private network.

westcros
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks again. For sure, It makes sense for any device that can configure network settings has the facility to assign a static id for sure and my DHCP range only starts at "100" so i have plenty of addresses I can use. This is the switch I have ordered

NETGEAR GS108E-300UKS ProSAFE 8 Port Web Managed (Plus) Gigabit Ethernet Switch

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

That is the same as I use. Its a professional piece of kit, probably more aimed at businesses.

See a similar thread  https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Bt-Vision-box-and-netgear-switch/m-p/1685772#M13...

westcros
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

Happy to report that the superb new Netgear managed switch arrived last night and it worked straight "out of the box". When I logged into the management page I saw that it was already configured for multicast.

The bit that puzzles me is that my TP LINK router is handling multicast and i was getting all BT Internet channels other than the 4k Sports channel but I can only guess that gets more complicated when there are additional switches in the network configuratiion.

Well anyway, I am really pleased to have it all working now and I managed to get the new managed  switch at a very reasonable £33 from Amazon - thank you very much for your valuable advice.

Regards

Graham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Excellent Smiley Happy

Managed switches are the way to go, which is why they are the only ones I use. They are more expensive, but they are much better at routing Ethernet frames, as they have a CPU.

0 Ratings