cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

BT TV box and media plate

I have moved into a new house with ‘Fibre to the property’.  This is completely new to me.  

I am trying to work out how to connect up my BT box.

I have a media plate (4 electrical sockets and what looks like one Ethernet socket) on the wall in my longe where the TV and BT box have to be.  I have a BT Openreach box in the cupboard in the hall.  My BT hub has to be connected to this Openreach box via a red lead and the hub therefore has to be in the hall cupboard.  

How do I connect up my BT box to the hub, please?  I would appreciate any help.  (I am not particularly technical.)  Thank you.

Spoiler

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: BT TV box and media plate

@JudithMB 

Welcome to this user forum.

If you have an Ethernet cable that runs between the Openreach optical box and the lounge, then you can use that to connect to the home hub which can be located in the lounge.

Simply connect the Ethernet socket on the Openreach box, to the Ethernet socket in the cupboard ,that goes to the lounge, and then connect the home hub red lead to the socket in the lounge. You may need an extra Ethernet cable in the cupboard to do this.

If you would rather leave the home hub in the box, then if you have a BT TV contract, you can ask BT for a couple of mini connectors to link the home hub and the TV together. They are available at a discounted rate of £20, for BT TV customers.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thank-you for replying so quickly, Keith.

The issue with a cable connection is that it would need to run across the lounge, the lounge door and the hall - a trip hazard (and not why you buy a new house with, allegedly, 'all-singing, all dancing' fibre broadband!).   I will investigate the mini connectors you mention.  It feels though, that there should be a more straightforward solution.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@JudithMB wrote:

Thank-you for replying so quickly, Keith.

The issue with a cable connection is that it would need to run across the lounge, the lounge door and the hall - a trip hazard (and not why you buy a new house with, allegedly, 'all-singing, all dancing' fibre broadband!).   I will investigate the mini connectors you mention.  It feels though, that there should be a more straightforward solution.

But you said there was an Ethernet socket in the lounge. So there should also be one in the cupboard as well, which will be connected to the lounge, so there is no need to run any cables. Just use that link to connect the Openreach modem, to the home hub.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Thanks.  So, if I've understood correctly, I just need to plug the BT box into the ethernet port on the 'media plate' in the lounge, and everything will work? 

I have just never seen a system like this before.  There's nothing obvious in the hall cupboard which looks like a lead to connect from the Openreach box to the hub (see photo).  I was assuming this would be needed to connect the Openreach box to the hub, and hence connect the BT box to the hub.

IMG_1073.jpg

(I've spent 8 weeks chasing BT for an engineer's appointment - for which I have paid!  Tomorrow's appointment has just been cancelled and I feel it's never going to be sorted out unless I can do it myself.)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Instead of connecting the Openreach box(ONT) to the hub, connect it to the Ethernet socket that is wired to the Ethernet socket in the lounge. Then connect the hub to the Ethernet socket in the lounge.

There should be patch panel with a number of Ethernet sockets near the ONT that go to various rooms in the house.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Many thanks for the advice, but that is one of the issues - there’s no patch panel.  (I’ve seen these in looking for solutions on YouTube.). What is in the photo is what I’ve got, and nothing else.  

0 Ratings