cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmalamos
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

BT Ultrafast Install - can I use my own router?

Hi All

In February next year, i am moving to a brand new home which would be connected to the Openreach Ultrafast network.

I would like to continue using my own router as i have all the configuration the way i want it. I currently have a Synology RT2600AC. I am currently using this with an external TPLink modem which is not suitable for Ultrafast.  In the USA previously i was able to connect the router directly to the wall ethernet socket and set it to Auto with no modem required.

What can i do in this case, use existing BT hardware that comes with BT and bridge it to the Synology or just go out and buy a third party modem? 

I know this is aBT forum but Zen also will be available on my new location.

Thanks all

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: BT Ultrafast Install - can I use my own router?

If you are getting FTTP, then an Openreach ONT will be fitted which presents a WAN interface, which you can connect to your router.

mmalamos
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Thanks Keith

This is what i was hoping as well. So if order Ultrafast 1 or 2 from BT i should be able to use their own hardware - great.

Unrelated to this, being a brand new home it does not show up yet on the bt checker. When can i place the order and how long does it take to install from order. i heard some horror stories on line previously

Thanks

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

if a new build the FTTP will be installed automatically by openreach.  you will then be able to order your FTTP conenction when installation completed and you move in

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

@mmalamos wrote:

Thanks Keith

This is what i was hoping as well. So if order Ultrafast 1 or 2 from BT i should be able to use their own hardware - great.

Unrelated to this, being a brand new home it does not show up yet on the bt checker. When can i place the order and how long does it take to install from order. i heard some horror stories on line previously

Thanks

It depends on whether the developer has been liaising with Openreach to ensure that the ducting is in place. Its unlikely to show up on the BT checker if its FTTP, until an order has been placed for a phone line.

Hopefully when you move in, there will be an ONT on the wall, so you can place an order to have it activated.

I would speak to the developer and see what they say.

mmalamos
Contributor
Message 6 of 10

You know what they will say - speak to Openreach!!!

Thanks Keith - will have to wait and see i suppose. I do work from home so i need it to be active the day i move in but that may be a bit ambitious!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

@mmalamos wrote:

You know what they will say - speak to Openreach!!!

Thanks Keith - will have to wait and see i suppose. I do work from home so i need it to be active the day i move in but that may be a bit ambitious!

Perhaps your employer can chase things up if  gets delayed, otherwise mobile broadband may be a temporary solution?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 10

If there is an Openreach ONT fitted and the Pon light is solid green ring the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787 to place your order. It should only take a couple of days to be connected. You may need the ONT serial number.

mmalamos
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Hi All

Apologies for revisiting my old thread but i have now finally moved into my new property and FTTP is working great.

I connected the BT supplied router and i can get 300+ Mbps down speed and 50+ upload - slightly less on wifi. However, when i connect my Synology RT2600AC router i get similar speeds on wifi on my phone on a Galaxy Note 9  for the first few minutes and then after a while it drops down to 25-30Mbps.  This did not happen on the BT router. I cannot check now as i am away with work but is there a network setting i am misisng on the Synology? Once i am back i will log a ticket with Synology support as they are usually very good in responding.

I am yet to connect any of my computers up but they will all be connected via Synology Mesh routers MR2200AC so i expect teh issues will be similar. It is important to use these routers as i have them configured for my network and the cost of them is rather high to just replace with the BT router.

Any ideas? 

0 Ratings
brookheather
Expert
Message 10 of 10

Try disabling any QoS or traffic control / shaping options.  It is likely there is some feature enabled that gets overwhelmed.  I saw someone post about a problem with an SD card inserted - once removed the speed returned.

0 Ratings