Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shorterxp
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

BT WIfi+Chome "Your connection is not private" on majority websites

Go to solution

Hello, I get this issue described in title. It only persists in chromium based browsers (chrome, opera, latter was to test).

In chrome, for example I can open bing.com, but 99% other wbesites throw me the error message.

Although I am able to proceed to the page beyond the error via  a link, the page is rendered as plain text, I presume because all the images and scripts are 'non secure', from what I've read.

Whats the best solution for this? In the past I tried exporting a websites certificate and then importing into chrome and IIRC, that let me onto that website but this is per website, thus a tedious process and does not always work.

An observation is that even if a hyperlink and what it links to is http, Opera seems to redirect all HTTP to HTTPS. I can't see an option to turn this needless over provisional/ hinderance of a feature off. I appreciate that companies want to look out for those uneducated on the matters but atleast give people an option......

BTW I access BT via BT-Fon. I do not have a landline, I piggyback off a neighbors available hotspot and this is sufficient. Firefox works fine but is teribbly optimized on this machine.

Regarding BT-FOn Proxy, I don't necesserily trust it. i.e. after looking for a solution for another seperate problem; I wasn't able to turn off safe search OFF in google search, in the end I accepted this as undefeatable because its documented that this is inherant part of BT wifi hotspots.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: BT WIfi+Chome "Your connection is not private" on majority websites

Go to solution

that is a problem with BTWIFI/FON that anyone with a BT sign in can use it and it should not be used for and private/personal information  it is mainly intended for surfing when out and about

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
shorterxp
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Please don't post if you have no intention to help. That is a half baked solution. It isn't re assuring that portable surfing isn't secure, either. In all very dissapointed in this response.

Here's hoping someone else who is technically inclined in this area can elaborate further.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

sorry but that is the problem  BTWIFI is not secure and should not be used for private or personal information.  of course you can ignore the warning and go online shopping or banking but you leave your data open to misuse  up to you if you want to risk it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @shorterxp,

You can find out more information here - How secure are BT Wi-fi hotspots?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
shorterxp
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

To be clear, I CAN access HTTPS sites on firefox. Just not chrome.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Then use firefox

shorterxp
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

As stated in post #1 firefox is incompatible with my PC.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@shorterxp wrote:

As stated in post #1 firefox is incompatible with my PC.

It doesn't state that at all.

0 Ratings