Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aos101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 41

BT Web Address Help opt out isn't working

Go to solution

The BT Web Address Help service (info here & here) has re-enabled itself on my broadband connection even though I turned it off a long time ago, and the opt out page itself says it is disabled for my connection.  If I just do a simple DNS lookup for an address that doesn't exist using BT's DNS servers I get the IP address of the BT Web Address Help servers returned instead of an NXDOMAIN response which I should be getting because I've disabled the Web Address Help service:

user@host:~$ dig www.thissitedoesntexist87969439.com @81.139.57.100

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> www.thissitedoesntexist87969439.com @81.139.57.100
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 14376
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.thissitedoesntexist87969439.com. IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.thissitedoesntexist87969439.com. 30	IN A	92.242.132.15

;; Query time: 8 msec
;; SERVER: 81.139.57.100#53(81.139.57.100)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 07 23:42:25 BST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 69

user@host:~$ dig www.thissitedoesntexist729372072.com @81.139.56.100

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> www.thissitedoesntexist729372072.com @81.139.56.100
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 4718
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.thissitedoesntexist729372072.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.thissitedoesntexist729372072.com. 30 IN A	92.242.132.15

;; Query time: 8 msec
;; SERVER: 81.139.56.100#53(81.139.56.100)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 07 23:42:37 BST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 70

The issue of the opt out not working seems intermittent, as as it was broken on Sunday and then started working again, and now it's broken again. 

I have contacted support via online chat about this issue on Sunday and they really were awful.  I was referred to a manager who told me it was a system browser issue (it isn't) and asked me if it was affecting my data.  I had to explain to them what the service is and what it does, and they clearly didn't understand the service or the problem I was reporting with the service.  They clearly lacked the technical knowledge necessary to understand the problem, and when I asked for it to be referred to 2nd or 3rd line support who would understand the problem they did not.  They did claim they would pass on my feedback to the people who run BT's DNS servers, and said I could call back in a week (!!!!) to get an update or I would get a popup once it was fixed.  This popup they mentioned sounds like a lie to me, and I don't have much confidence they actually passed on my feedback to the right people.  Basically I think they just fobbed me off.  

Could a moderator/BT Employee please look into this and ensure the information gets to the right people so the opt out for the Web Address Help can be fixed?

0 Ratings
40 REPLIES
Message 2 of 41

Re: BT Web Address Help opt out isn't working

Go to solution

Hi @aos101

Welcome to the community and thanks for your post!

I'm sorry that Web Address Help (WAH) has enabled itself on your connection and when you try to turn it off it shows that it is already disabled.  This is obviously an error that we will need to sort out for you.

I appreciate the amount of your time you spent with our online chat team trying to get to the bottom of this.  We can help you sort this out but as we deal with cases strictly in turn as we receive them it will take us a few days to get round to picking your case up from when you send us your details.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 41

Go to solution

@aos101 As a temporary measure until it is sorted, you could use different DNS servers, like Google Public DNS, or OpenDNS.

You would have to alter this on your computer`s network properties, as you cannot alter them on the BT Home Hub.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communityhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
stoobie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 41

Unable to disable BT Web Address Help service

Go to solution

My BT web address help service appears to have re-enabled itself since Tuesday and I am unable to disable it. 

The BT web preference page shows that the service is disabled but tests have shown that the service is still active. Tests include pings to non-existant IP addresses and browser searches to non-existant web pages (as mentioned in other messages on the community about this) and all give indication that the web address service is intercepting results, ie 'This page is brought to you by BT Web Address Help'. 

I contacted Live Help this morning and chatted for some considerable time, I also got a call back from a help agent who put me on hold for about 10 mins after which the call dropped and has not rung back in the last hour or so. 

I do not have any problems when testing with two other broadband providers that I have access to, the issues only show up when I use my BT broadband.

Since Wednesday I have enabled/disabled the service several times, rebooted the router, unplugged it for a short while, all to no avail. 

If someone could assist, it would be much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 41

Re: Unable to disable BT Web Address Help service

Go to solution

Also see https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Web-Address-Help-opt-out-isn-t-working/m-p/17...

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
stoobie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 41

Go to solution
Hello Keith, I do not have the option of changing DNS on the laptop. Thank you for contacting a moderator, much appreciated.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 41

Go to solution

Hi @stoobie

Thanks for your posts and welcome back!

Sorry for the problems you're having with Web Address Help (WAH).  The community isn't going to be able to help with this so you can send us over your details and we will give you a hand from here.

Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 41

Go to solution

@stoobie wrote:
Hello Keith, I do not have the option of changing DNS on the laptop. Thank you for contacting a moderator, much appreciated.

I assume this must be a work laptop which is locked down?

There is another way, if you have another device that has a DHCP server built in, as you can disable the DHCP server on the home hub, and use that instead. The settings on the DHCP server would give you the option of using different DNS adresses.

I have a wireless access point which has a DHCP server, and I use that to point to OpenDNS, the one in the home hub is turned off.

There is another report here https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/BT-Web-Address-Help-opt-out-isn-t-working/m-p/17...

0 Ratings
frenchy77
Message 9 of 41

Go to solution

Hi,   another extremely frustrated BT customer here - BT Web Address help has opted itself in and cannot be disabled.  Not only that, it means that working from home via VPN is no longer working because hostnames are hitting BT rather than come inside my company.

The worst part is getting help.  In typical BT fashion, getting help is opne of lifes most painful eperiences.   I've really struggled to find anyone in BT that's even ever heard of BT Web address help.  I had to tell the first line person (in India) to look it up on google.    I got transferred to an expert and the guy told me that he doesnt support BT web address help... if BT doesnt support it then who does !

What on earth..    How BT get away with this is beyond me.

We are no closer to an answer, any information, nothing.   Totally in the dark.

aos101
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 41

Go to solution

@RobbieMac thankyou for the reply, and I have contacted you using the form as requested.  

@Keith_Beddoe Yes I might do that as a work around.  It's just a shame the Smart Hub doesn't let you change the DNS servers it uses for the whole network.  I guess BT have their reasons, but it is an annoying limitation.  I know I can work around it by running my own DHCP server, but you shouldn't really need to do that for such a minor configuration change.  

0 Ratings