Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

BT Wholesale Speed Test and Flash

Hi all

I am somewhat wary of pointing people at BT Wholesale's speed tester. It has the obvious the advantage of being on the BTs network and of being a common reference point. However, when you use it on a modern browser, you are confronted with a warning that it relies on Flash and requires click-to-run on modern browsers (Chrome, Edge, failed for me on FireFox 55.0.3 today, Safari).

Adobe announced the end of flash back in July this year:

https://blogs.adobe.com/conversations/2017/07/adobe-flash-update.html

Is there any likelihood of a Flash free version? Or is there somewhere we can file a feature request?

Thanks

flamethrower

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: BT Wholesale Speed Test and Flash

Have to agree that the only acceptable speedtest to BT relying on Flash is an extremely bad decision by BT. But persuading them of the error of their ways is an entirely different matter unfortunately. Smiley Frustrated

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

If any poster wants BT to take notice of speed tests they will have to use the BT speed tester regardless of the fact is uses Flash. No other test will be accepted.

It is unlikely that BT will disclose whether or not the are developing a Flash free tester until they release it onto the public.

0 Ratings
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

+1 to @flamethrower's idea. Perhaps also open it in the 'ideas' section of the forum to see how much support it can get.
0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Thanks @smf22, that's a good idea. done!

The link is here if any one feels like seconding it:

https://community.bt.com/t5/Ideas-Bank/BT-Wholesale-Speed-Test-and-Flash/idi-p/1773934

Best

P.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Barca1
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Fully agree with your comments!  I only Joined BT broadband on 7th June 2018 myself;  Since then my broadband speed has continually been fluctuating between 1.5 - 2.9Mbs  -  NB I am currently only running  now at a very poor 1Mbs, which BT are now investigating.  The best speed I have ever achieved (using a copper line) was 3.6Mbs -  which I believe would be acceptable considering we are some 3 miles distant  from our BT Exchange. However, the 1Mbs speed I am presently getting is far from being acceptable. NB I have already had a visit from an Openreach BT  engineer who did some engineering work on my incoming  line and was able to get a max of 2.9Mbs from my BT Hub4 (I Noted he had recorded my  max incoming speed was 3.6Mbs - line @ 6db stable; but could only achieve a maximum of 2.9Mbs through put output speed  from my Hub). I have continually been monitoring my speed and it shows the same very slow speed results over the past couple of days. BT have informed me tonight they have arranged another site visit has been arranged to investigate my ongoing problem.

0 Ratings