cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

BT Wi-Fi App

Go to solution
At the moment I have a BT phone line with broadband from another ISP, but I have just placed an order for a new BT line+fibre broadband contract.

If I login to my BT account and look at the order tracking info, it states “Download BR Wi-Fi App. While you wait, you can use over 5 million BT Wi-Fi hotspots free of charge’, and provides a link to ‘BT Wi-Fi App Information’. But if I click that link, then after a short while I get a red pop-up box with the message “Sorry, you are not account holder for this account. Please select different account".

So what should I do next, as I only have the one BT account, into which I am already logged in?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: BT Wi-Fi App

Go to solution

Hi @Nemo2000, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, do you have more than one BT ID? To access BT Wifi you need to use the BT ID that has account holder status associated to it. 

To check which role is attached to your BT ID, please follow the steps below:

1. Log in to My BT >
  2. Click on Settings and Your account
  3. Scroll down and you’ll see if you’re an Account holder or Account manager

If your BT ID is linked to more than one account number, it's possible to have a different account status for each account.

If you're listed as an account manager you can change it to Account manager by following these steps

Please follow the steps below:

1. Click on Settings and Your account
  2. Scroll down and you'll see if you're an Account holder or Account manager
  3. Click on the I should be the Account holder link and follow the steps

Post back and let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

AFAIK I have only the one BT ID.

When I looked at my Account it said that I was the A/C Manager, so I clicked the 'change to A/c Holder' option.

This then seemed to want to use my e-mail address to replace my existing BT ID as a new BT ID (why?) so I chose the option not to replace it, just keep the original one.

Then it said that it could not do that as I was not the A/c Holder !

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Hi, @Nemo2000 many thanks for trying that.  Did you set up your BT ID a long time ago? The reason I ask is that all BT ID's now have to be in the format of an email address, this changed several years ago and BT.com will prompt you to change it to an email address.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

I changed to using the e-mail address as the BT ID. Had some problems switching to being the A/C Holder, but it worked in the end.

Ironically, once I'd accessed the info on the Wi-Fi app I found that it was of no use to me anyway 🙂 Never mind....

0 Ratings