cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

BT WiFi disk connections

I have recently upgraded to a Smarthub 2. I have a WiFi disk

I have configured the WiFi disk via the RJ45 connection and now have it working with a WifI connection between the disk and the router.

I am having some difficulty in getting the optimum location for the disk mainly due to the lack of a power socket where I want to put it.

Is it possible to run the WiFi disk with and RJ45 cable back the the SmartHub instead of via WiFi? That might help me.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: BT WiFi disk connections

Which disk(s) are you using ?

You can (normally) connect disks via the ethernet connection and infact its normally better to to this because it removed the need for the disk to halve its performance to talk to the hub and your device at the same time (basically, if a disk had say a 100mbps wifi connection, the 50mbps would be used getting the data from the hub to the disk and 50mbps from the disk to your device)

The premium disks though (i think its these models) have a separate radio to do the hub to disk 'backhaul' though.

I use three BT mini-disks, each connected by ethernet back to the hub and it works really well and because I don't loose performance on the backhaul, its as fast as the bigger disks and a lot cheaper.
0 Ratings