Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barneys
Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: BT ZXHN W151N wireless N adapter Does not work out of the box

Go to solution

Roger. Sorry you've got me there. How do I check for Plug & PLay being switched off.  I am not sure about Install new hardward Wizard in Win 7 either.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

go to control panel in start and then hardware then add new device.  can you see adapter in device manager when connected?  maybe with yellow '?' or '!'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ach2
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Scan for new hardware in win 7 is similar to XP etc...

Start / Control Panel / System / Device Manager

When device manager is open there should be an icon which says 'scan for hardware changes' in the second line.

0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution
OK Roger. Done that. Yes the adapter is listed in the device manager as an unspecified item. and yes it as a yellow '!'
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

@barneys wrote:
OK Roger. Done that. Yes the adapter is listed in the device manager as an unspecified item. and yes it as a yellow '!'

It's not picking any drivers up then  .....

Is there a proper installation CD you say .... if you installed correctly there will be a wizard in the desktop menus somewhere to setup the adapter to look for networks .....

USB wireless network adapters can work in ONE of 2 ways ... either by Windows network setting it up ....

or by the manufacturer's drivers and software (wizard) setting it up .... to look for networks.

If you installed any software with your old usb adapter, you may have to uninstall it, as when the computer is started the win.ini will be loading drivers for that ....

Then start afresh with the new software (CD) and instructions.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
barneys
Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution
Ok Thanks Roger. I have to be somewhere this Evening so I'll have to pick this up tomorrow & check this out. Thanks for all your your help so far.
0 Ratings
barneys
Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

OK I have now returned to this problem. I have removed all traces of the old adapter driver by uninstalling the adapter from Control Panel "remove software" then re-booted PC. Also removed all the old redundant folders related to old adapter. I ten plugged in the new adapter and it picked up the drivers and it is now working OK. As suggested it must have been the old software\drivers messing things up. Thanks everyone for your help.

0 Ratings