Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwils11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

BT broadband range issue

Hi

is anybody else experiencing range issues with the 2.4 ghz router band? I recently recontracted my broadband and a few days after noticed that my broadband was very patchy upstairs, after investigation I discovered the 2.4 ghz band from my hub 5 was not working correctly and kept dropping out, the 5 ghz band works fine but only downstairs in my house, I phoned the BT customer services for advice and was told that as I had broadband there was nothing that could be done and my only options were to upgrade to BT complete for £££ or to book an engineer for ££. I declined both as I have been with BT for years and have never had an issue with broadband upstairs previously. I was hoping this issue would sort itself out but it has been about 6 weeks now and driving me mad, anyone have any ideas how to sort this out? I have tried all the output channels on my hub etc.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: BT broadband range issue

As BT can't really be expected to do anything about technical problems within your house (even though the organization can perform magic elsewhere), perhaps it's a case of "physician heal thyself"

Wireless communications are not magic, but you may be able to improve communication by sending the signal from your router  over your mains wiring instead?

(My management has demanded my attendance for Luncheon - to which I must respond under Pain of Death) - perhaps someone else on here could 'fill in' for me pro tem

0 Ratings
OldGoat
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I can't edit my post on this forum - so I'm adding a note in a separate post.

You can send your signal to a different room (or rooms) through a facility knows as  "power line networking.

You buy a couple (or more) powerline adaptors - simplistically put one near your router, connect it up , plug the other(s) into your house mains electricity wiring and presto you have wireless in places that other technology cannot reach. Not expensive. Do a Google  - "Wireless over mains"  is a starter.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Have you tried a factory reset of the hh5 by pressing the recessed button on back and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash  if you do this then remember to turn off smart setup  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

and also split the networks  http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

see if that helps   you may also select the wifi channels manually rather than auto which may also help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
kwils11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Hi Imjolly, many thanks for your feedback, unfortunately I have tried all of your suggestions with no success, the 5 ghz band is fine but as this has less range than the 2.4 ghz band I cannot get any Wi-fi upstairs. I think my hub may be at fault but BT will not replace it, i have been with BT for years and the wi fi has been fine until the last 6 weeks, now the 2.4ghz band doesn’t work and I have very limited range.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

are you still in a fixed term contract? not a rolling monthly contract.  if so so then phone customer services and as for a replacement as your old HH5 has faulty wifi

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
kwils11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks again imjolly, I phoned BT customer service as I have just recently recontracted for 18 months expecting that it wouldn’t be too difficult to get my old hh5 updated unfortunately I have had my request denied. They told me that as I can get broadband by connecting a wire to my hub and have a solid blue light the hub is not faulty so they will not replace it, they did offer to upgrade me to BT complete for an extra £10 per month as this is the only way they can guarantee any wi fi signal, don’t see why I should pay more when I have had trouble free broadband for the last 5 years, guess I will have to wait for the next price increase so I can leave BT without charges
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Call again and insist that they replace it as the wifi is faulty, be persistent with them.

0 Ratings